1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplification in Schrodinger derivation

1. Jan 29, 2013 #1
    This is not a homework question. This is not for a course. However, I got a warning for posting such questions elsewhere, so, I suppose I must post them here.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The following is an excerpt of the derivation of the Schrodinger equation. After deriving the Klein-Gordon equation, the relativistic total energy is approximated to arrive at the Schrodinger equation.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]E = mc^2\sqrt{1+\frac{p^2}{m^2c^2}}[/itex]
    [itex]\approx mc^2\left(1+\frac{1}{2}\frac{p^2}{m^2c^2}\right)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, frankly, I do not see how they went from the first step to the second step. Where did the 1/2 come from? How does the removal of the square root effectively approximate this? I am not seeing it. Was a conjugate used and multiplied somehow?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Jan 29, 2013 #3

Mute

Homework Helper

It may also help you to play around with some of these plots to get a feel for how well the approximations work. For example, letting ##x = p/(mc)##, take a look at a comparison of the two curves, plotted with wolframalpha:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Plot[{Sqrt[1+x^2],1+x^2/2},{x,0,1}]

Play around with some other examples of the binomial approximation as well.

5. Jan 29, 2013 #4
    Thank you! This is perfect. I do not know how I managed to get this far without having heard of the binomial approximation, and having tutored math for years. I guess I am one of the lucky ten thousand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook