Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplification of Trigonometic Expression

1. Dec 5, 2008 #1
    [tex]\frac{1}{7} e^{-2t} \cos(4 \sqrt 6 t)+\frac{\sqrt 6}{21} e^{-2t} \sin(4 \sqrt 6 t) =\frac{\sqrt 15}{21} e^{-2t} \cos(4 \sqrt 6 t+\arctan \sqrt 6/2)[/tex]

I am having trouble figuring out how to prove this relation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My initial thought was to use this formula:

[tex]\cos(u+v)=\cos(u) \cos(v)+\sin(u) \sin(v)[/tex]
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2008 #2
    It looks a bit daunting at first, but we can clean that up a little, by dividing everything by [tex](\sqrt{15}/21) e^{-2t}[/tex] and substituting [tex]\theta = 4\sqrt{6} t[/tex]:

[tex]\frac{3}{\sqrt{15}} \cos \theta + \frac{\sqrt{6}}{\sqrt{15}} \sin \theta = \cos \left( \theta + \arctan \frac{\sqrt{6}}{2} \right).[/tex]

Now can you do it?
  4. Dec 5, 2008 #3
    Yeah I can. Unfortunately when I was solving the governing differential equation I was not given the solution so I'm wondering how I would approach this problem not knowing the solution.
  5. Dec 5, 2008 #4
    What was the differential equation?
  6. Dec 5, 2008 #5

[tex] u(0)=\frac{1}{7} [/tex] [tex] u'(0)=\frac{6}{7}[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?