Finding the constants of the general approximate solution to a double pendulum

• Thread starter giovanna
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
giovanna
Homework Statement
Given the (approximate) general solution to the double pendulum, find the constant $A_1$, $A_2$, $\delta_1$ and $\delta_2$ by stating some initial conditions for the double pendulum.
Relevant Equations
$\phi(t) = A_1 \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ \sqrt{2} \end{pmatrix} \cos(\omega_1 t - \delta_1) + A_2 \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ -\sqrt{2} \end{pmatrix} \cos(\omega_2 t - \delta_2)
$
EDIT: My Latex is not showing... Sorry. I attached a file with my "solution".

I though this would be quite easy, but I can't seem to solve this system of equations. Should I solve for each mode, or both of them together? I tried to solve them together, here's how far I get:

double.png

$\text{General solution:} \\

\phi(t)=A_1\binom{1}{\sqrt{2}}\cos\left(\omega_1t-\delta_1\right)+A_2\binom{1}{-\sqrt{2}}\cos\left(\omega_2t-\delta_2\right)

\text{Expanding the components, we get} \\

\phi_1(t)=A_1\cos\left(\omega_1t-\delta_1\right)+A_2\cos\left(\omega_2t-\delta_2\right) \\
\phi_2(t)=\sqrt{2}A_1\cos\left(\omega_1t-\delta_1\right)-\sqrt{2}A_2\cos\left(\omega_2t-\delta_2\right)

\text{Neglecting the amplitudes, this can be written as} \\

\phi_1(t)=A_1\cos\left(\omega_1t-\delta_1\right)+A_2\cos\left(\omega_2t-\delta_2\right) \\
\phi_2(t)=A_1\cos\left(\omega_1t-\delta_1\right)-A_2\cos\left(\omega_2t-\delta_2\right)

\text{Differentiating, we obtain} \\

\dot{\phi}_1(t)=-\omega_1A_1\sin\left(\omega_1t-\delta_1\right)-\omega_2A_2\sin\left(\omega_2t-\delta_2\right) \\
\dot{\phi}_2(t)=-\omega_1A_1\sin\left(\omega_1t-\delta_1\right)+\omega_2A_2\sin\left(\omega_2t-\delta_2\right)

\text{To find the particular solution, we need to determine } A_1, A_2, \delta_1, \text{ and } \delta_2. \text{ Choosing the initial conditions} \\

\phi_1(0)=\phi_2(0)=\frac{\pi}{6} \\
\dot{\phi}_1(0)=\dot{\phi}_2(0)=0

\text{We obtain a system of equations with four equations and four unknowns:} \\

A_1\cos(\delta_1)+A_2\cos(\delta_2)=\frac{\pi}{6} \\
A_1\cos(\delta_1)-A_2\cos(\delta_2)=\frac{\pi}{6} \\
-\omega_1A_1\sin(\delta_1)-\omega_2A_2\sin(\delta_2)=0 \\
-\omega_1A_1\sin(\delta_1)+\omega_2A_2\sin(\delta_2)=0

\text{Since } \cos(-x)=\cos(x) \text{ and } \sin(-x)=-\sin(x), \text{ we can rewrite this as} \\

A_1\cos(\delta_1)+A_2\cos(\delta_2)=\frac{\pi}{6}\ (1) \\
A_1\cos(\delta_1)-A_2\cos(\delta_2)=\frac{\pi}{6}\ (2) \\
\omega_1A_1\sin(\delta_1)+\omega_2A_2\sin(\delta_2)=0\ (3) \\
\omega_1A_1\sin(\delta_1)-\omega_2A_2\sin(\delta_2)=0\ (4)$

Physics news on Phys.org
Your LaTex is unreadable. You should preview it and edit as necessary before posting. (You probably need to reload your post page in your browser before you can see your LaTex rendered properly.)