Simplifying Expressions Involving Square and Fourth Roots

In summary, the conversation discusses how to simplify expressions involving fourth roots and square roots without using a calculator. The process involves factoring and removing unnecessary factors. The final simplified expression is (sqrt(6)-2sqrt(3)).
oconnk
I was looking over a problem to make sure I hadn't messed up my arithmetic and I put the term (-SQRT(18-12SQRT(2))/6 into my calculator and it reduced it to (2SQRT(3)-SQRT(6))/6.
I found approximate values for these two expressions and they were in fact equal. So my question is, how does one figure out how to reduce expressions involving fourth roots and square roots into those involving only square roots without the use of a TI-89 or any other exact value calculator? Could you show me step-by-step on this one as an example?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Obviously the simplification happens in the numerator so I'll ignore the 1/6. To simplify this we need to take care of the difference underneath the radical. We do this by factoring. First remove any unnecessary factors.
[tex]
-\sqrt{18-12\sqrt{2}} = -\sqrt{6(3-2\sqrt{2})}
[/tex]
You can probably see that, if this can be factored, then the factored form looks like [tex](a+b\sqrt{2})^2[/tex]. There aren't many possibilities for [tex]3-2\sqrt{2}[/tex] and by some guess and check you'll find that a=1 and b=-1.
[tex]
-\sqrt{6(1-\sqrt{2})^2} = -\sqrt{6}(1-\sqrt{2}) = \sqrt{6} - 2\sqrt{3}
[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
oconnk, you sure you're not forgetting a minus sign somewhere? They're negatives of one another.

Since 1-sqrt(2)<0, the square root of it squared (forgive the stupid wording, I'm exhausted) is sqrt(2)-1, and the rest of the above post still works.

Tobias Funke said:
oconnk, you sure you're not forgetting a minus sign somewhere? They're negatives of one another.

Since 1-sqrt(2)<0, the square root of it squared (forgive the stupid wording, I'm exhausted) is sqrt(2)-1, and the rest of the above post still works.

Yes and I made the same error!

Obviously the simplification happens in the numerator so I'll ignore the 1/6. To simplify this we need to take care of the difference underneath the radical. We do this by factoring. First remove any unnecessary factors.
[tex]
-\sqrt{18-12\sqrt{2}} = -\sqrt{6(3-2\sqrt{2})}
[/tex]
You can probably see that, if this can be factored, then the factored form looks like
(a+b2√)2
. There aren't many possibilities for
3−22√
and by some guess and check you'll find that a=1 and b=-1.
[tex]
-\sqrt{6(1-\sqrt{2})^2} = -\sqrt{6}(1-\sqrt{2}) = \sqrt{6} - 2\sqrt{3}
[/tex]

for more on http://math.tutorvista.com/algebra/simplifying-expressions.html" log on to tutorvista.com

Last edited by a moderator:
qntty and Anant9, don't use the tag "latex" on this form. Use "tex" or, for inline, "itex" only. I edited your posts, replacing "latex" with "tex".

What is a square root?

A square root is the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. For example, the square root of 25 is 5, because 5 x 5 = 25.

What is a fourth root?

A fourth root is the number that, when multiplied by itself four times, gives the original number. For example, the fourth root of 81 is 3, because 3 x 3 x 3 x 3 = 81.

What is the difference between a square root and a fourth root?

The main difference is the number of times the root must be multiplied by itself to get the original number. A square root is multiplied by itself twice, while a fourth root is multiplied by itself four times.

How do I simplify expressions involving square and fourth roots?

To simplify these expressions, you must first factor out any perfect square or fourth powers from the numbers inside the root. Then, you can take the square or fourth root of the perfect powers and leave the remaining numbers inside the root. Finally, you can combine any like terms that are inside the root.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying expressions involving square and fourth roots?

One common mistake is forgetting to simplify perfect powers within the root. Another mistake is incorrectly combining terms inside the root, as only like terms can be combined. It is also important to remember to use the correct order of operations when simplifying these expressions.