Simulation of formation of a solar system

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
mersecske
Messages
186
Reaction score
0
Are there any usable simulation in the literature on the formation of a solar system?
It is possible for example that a solar system has 100 big planets?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
mersecske said:
Are there any usable simulation in the literature on the formation of a solar system?
It is possible for example that a solar system has 100 big planets?

I'm sure models of the solar system are fairly common, for example, here's a couple of images from a simulation of the Nice model of the solar system formation.
800px-Lhborbits.png

and a paper discussing the above model.
http://arxiv.org/abs/0903.3008v1
I assume there would also be models testing whether it is possible for Gas Giants to migrate towards their star due to interactions with the proto-planetary disc.

When you say big planets, what sort of mass do you mean? A Jupiter Mass, an Earth Mass?
I'd guess it's unlikely that a system would be able to form that many planets of a terrestrial mass or more, I don't have any papers to show that though.