Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simultaneous primality and Dirichlet's Theorem on Arthm. Progressions?

1. Dec 24, 2013 #1
    Hi. I'm a music theorist writing a music-related paper that is math heavy and I'm a little in over my head.

I know that according to Dirichlet's theorem on arithmetic progressions, there are infinitely many primes in the form ax+b when a and b are coprime. What I am wondering is if there is a theorem that says given ax+b and cx+d where a,b are coprime and c,d are coprime, ax+b and cx+d are simultaneously prime infinitely often?

The best I could come up with trying to prove it myself is this, and I don't claim this is a valid proof:

ax+b and cx+d are both prime infinitely often if it is the case that ax+b+cx+d equals some p+q, where p, q are prime, infinitely often. For the purposes of my paper I can also stipulate that a and c are both even and b and d are both odd.

ax+b+cx+d = x(a+c)+b+d = x(a+c)-1 + b+d+1.

The expression x(a+c)-1 yields primes infinitely often per Dirichlet because a+c is coprime with 1 (as all numbers are coprime with 1). The expression b+d+1 yields primes infinitely often because b+d is even, and even numbers are 1 less than a prime infinitely often. Therefore, ax+b+cx+d = primes p + q infinitely often.

At least that's my train of thought. But I would dearly love for there to be an existing theorem that covers this. And please forgive me if my own "proof" is faulty and naive--- I'm just a music theorist, not a math professor!

Best,
    Robert Gross

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2013 #2
    I also apologize if this is the wrong forum. I thought this was the general number theory forum.

4. Dec 28, 2013 #3
    If you get the proof right, you will have also proved the twin primes conjecture as a special case. Best of luck!

5. Dec 28, 2013 #4
    Wow, you're right!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook