Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Single Classical-Quantum Physics of Everything?

1. Sep 7, 2016 #1
    How close are physicists to understanding and describing the physics of all things quantum and classical and quantum systems interacting with "classical" systems in a single integrated consistent mathematical framework?

i.e. How far are we from a single integrated formalism that describes classical and quantum dynamics and everything in-between (including all the interactions... some of which are classified as "measurement" now)?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2016 #2
    from what i have read and heard it will still be decades before we have a single integrated formalism
    i believe that we still don't have any quantum math for gravity yet!

4. Sep 8, 2016 #3

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The framework you ask for is already fully developed. See the following paper and its references:

R. Kapral, Progress in the theory of mixed quantum-classical dynamics, Annu. Rev. Phys. Chem. 57 (2006): 129-157.
    http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/full/10.1146/annurev.physchem.57.032905.104702

However, except for the simplest systems, explicit calculations involving macroscopic systems (as needed for the measurement process) are difficult, as always in statistical mechanics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted