Site activity drag forever when logged in

• Bug
  • Thread starter RockyMarciano
  • Start date
In summary, the user is experiencing slow website performance when logged in, even after checking different browsers and IPs. They suspect it is a site issue and suggest the admins check for bugs associated with their username. The user has noticed consistent slowness for several weeks, which they initially attributed to general site slowness. Other users have also reported slowness in the past month, but it seems to only affect a small number of people. The issue may be related to the admin running intense processes, which should be over by the weekend. The user is unable to check if the problem has been resolved due to consistent slowness on their account.
RockyMarciano
For some reason the site works really slow when I'm logged in and it takes a long time just to answer one post. I checked diffferent browsers on different machines, the javascript(because there are some javascript console errors when I use the editor to compose posts and I must send the send button several times and for a long time before posts get posted), different IPs... but found nothing and the problem remains so it seems to be on the site end. Perhaps the admins could check if there is some bug associated to my username?
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you just noticed slowness over the past 20min or so? Or is it consistently slow over the past few weeks etc?

Consistent for some weeks, I wouldn't know exactly since I first attributed to some general slowness problem and didn't mind it much. (might take a while for my answers to appear as the "post reply" button generally only responds after after minutes of repeated pressing if at all).

hmmm you could be unlucky. I have been running some very intensive server processes lately. At this moment I am not, so is it slow right now?

RockyMarciano said:
Yes, it takes 1-3 minutes for a page to charge. (I just received an error message when pressing post reply)
What was the message?

It just said I was not allowed to perform the action, others are time out errors or things like "The following error occurred:
You must wait at least 189 seconds before performing this action." and Javascript console errors.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Must be due to some of my intense processes.
But why would your processes be affecting only my account for weeks? I don't get this.

RockyMarciano said:
But why would your processes be affecting only my account for weeks? I don't get this.
We've had other reports of slowness. Just look through this feedback forum. For the past few weeks I've been running intense processes. Might last a week or two more.

AFAICS there are only two more people with complaints about slowness in the last month(and one of them attributed to her internet provider), out of hundreds of active members that seem to be posting without any problem, so I don't think it is something very general, how can the processes you are running be so selective about who they are affecting?

Ok, thanks. Any factor in my setup I could modify to improve things a bit?

People who are having occasional PF slowness may want to keep track of their bandwidth and latency using something like http://www.speedof.me or a similar free service. What is it when PF is running OK and when PF is slow for you?

Checking how many members are online at good vs bad times may be useful. It would be better I guess as long as the number of active vs idle members is taken into account.

I'm no network or site admin but these seem like logical things to try.

Unfortunately my account is consistently handicapped so I cannot check slowness versus running ok.

Problems still remain. I had posted earlier similar or same slowness or failure, resembling like when PF is updating etc.

Today I first saw that 'you must wait some sec before performing that action ...' message.

Are these still expected by Greg? Is it under control?

Ok thanks Greg.

Seems back to normal. Works perfectly since last night (see previous post).

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Is it just my impression or it works even better now, and faster?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Stavros Kiri said:
Is it just my impression or it works even better now, and faster?
Should be all set now

Likes Stavros Kiri
Perfect!

1. What causes site activity to drag forever when I am logged in?

There are several potential reasons for this issue, including a slow internet connection, a problem with the website's server, or a large amount of data being processed on the site.

2. How can I fix the problem of site activity dragging forever?

First, try refreshing the page to see if that resolves the issue. If not, try clearing your browser's cache and cookies. If the problem persists, try accessing the site from a different device or internet connection. If none of these solutions work, it may be an issue with the website itself and you may need to contact the website's technical support team.

3. Is this a common issue with websites?

Site activity dragging forever is a common issue that can occur with any website, especially during periods of high traffic or when there are technical difficulties. It is important to troubleshoot the problem and contact the website's technical support team if the issue persists.

4. Could my internet speed be the cause of this issue?

Yes, a slow internet connection can contribute to site activity dragging forever. If you suspect your internet speed is the issue, try accessing the site from a different device or internet connection to see if the problem persists.

5. Can I prevent this issue from happening in the future?

There is no guaranteed way to prevent site activity from dragging forever, as it can be caused by various factors. However, you can try clearing your browser's cache and cookies regularly, using a reliable internet connection, and contacting the website's technical support team if the issue persists.