Size Matters: Bibliometric Analysis of 100 Largest European Universities

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matter
In summary, the conversation discusses a paper titled "Bibliometric statistical properties of the 100 largest European universities" submitted to the Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology. The paper contains 26 pages, 33 figures, and 3 tables. One person finds the topic interesting while another initially thought it would be about something else. They joke about the size of the paper and the use of Excel to produce plots.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
[17] arXiv:0704.0889 [pdf] :
Title: Bibliometric statistical properties of the 100 largest European universities: prevalent scaling rules in the science system
Authors: Anthony F. J. van Raan
Comments: 26 pages, 33 figures, 3 tables. submitted to the Journal of the American Society for information Science and Technology

Physics news on Phys.org
What about this do you find interesting?

ah hahaha i thought this was going to be about something different...

rhuthwaite said:
ah hahaha i thought this was going to be about something different...

Oh, its big baby.

haha r u sure u rnt just saying this too impress?
My personal opinion is that big is better

I only dress to impress.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Oh, its big baby.
What's big?

wolram said:
[17] arXiv:0704.0889
Franckly I did not read it all, but it seems awfully boring to me :uhh:
Although, I do not not claim this is not important :shy:
Maybe, as soon as I see a plot produced with excel, I just don't believe it :tongue2:

1. How was the data for the bibliometric analysis collected?

The data for this analysis was collected from publicly available sources, such as university websites and databases, as well as citation databases such as Web of Science and Scopus. Only data from the 100 largest universities in Europe, based on number of publications, was included in the analysis.

2. What criteria were used to determine the size of a university?

The size of a university in this analysis was determined by the number of publications it produced. This includes all types of publications, such as journal articles, conference proceedings, and books. The data was collected over a specific time period and only included publications from the university itself, not affiliated institutions.

3. How were the rankings of the universities determined?

The rankings of the universities were determined by several bibliometric indicators, including total number of publications, number of citations, and number of publications in top journals. These indicators were weighted and combined to give an overall ranking score for each university, which was used to determine their position in the top 100 list.

4. Were all European countries represented in the analysis?

Yes, all European countries were represented in the analysis. However, some countries had more universities in the top 100 list than others, depending on the size and research output of their higher education institutions.

5. What is the significance of this analysis for European universities?

This analysis provides insight into the research output and impact of the top 100 universities in Europe. It can help to identify strengths and weaknesses in different areas of research, and inform strategic decisions for universities looking to improve their rankings and reputation. It also highlights the importance of bibliometric analysis in evaluating the performance of universities and their contribution to the scientific community.