1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sizing a pressurizer for a PWR plant?

1. Nov 20, 2011 #1
    Sizing a pressurizer for a PWR plant!?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So I can't find anything online to help me with this because there isnt very many resources for this. If anyone knows of a good resource that would be great or some pointers on how to get started on this.

I am working a problem trying to find the volume of a pressurizer... here is the problem

A PWR has a 8000 ft^3 primary loop at 2200 psi. Hot leg temp is 600F and cold leg is 540F and the pressurizer if 60% full of water. Calculate necessary pressurizer volume for no more than 1% system pressure rise for a 10F rise in primary loop temperatures. Ignore spray flow and heat added.

I AM NOT asking someone to work this for me, I simply want to know what equations can help me get started because the book "Powerplant Technology" does not cover this very well and I can't find any other resources...

2. Relevant equations

F=ma? lol

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2011 #2
    Re: Sizing a pressurizer for a PWR plant!?

See Nuclear Systems I, Todreas & Kazimi, Chapter 7.

4. Nov 21, 2011 #3

is there a free copy anywhere?

I have "Powerplant Technology" book and already spent a fortune on that...

5. Nov 21, 2011 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Maybe check with your school libraries. If they don't have a copy, maybe they can get a loaner from another library in their system...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook