Sketching the ellipses 0 = x² - 2x + 4y² and 8 = x² - 2x + 4y²

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter JC3187
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    ellipses
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
JC3187
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Hi guys,

What is the best way to sketch

0 = x2 - 2x + 4y2 And
8 = x2 - 2x + 4y2

?

How do I sketch these two and how do I know they're both ellipses?
Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
JC3187 said:
Hi guys,

What is the best way to sketch

0 = x2 - 2x + 4y2 And
8 = x2 - 2x + 4y2

?

How do I sketch these two and how do I know they're both ellipses?
Thank you.

Complete the square in [itex]x[/itex]: [itex]x^2 - 2ax = (x - a)^2 - a^2[/itex].
 
JC3187 said:
Then what do i do?
What is the general equation for an ellipse in Cartesian coordinates? Can you see why completing the square helps?
 
[tex](x- 1)^2+ y^2= x^2- 2x+ 1+ y^2[/tex]
Do you see how that is connected to [tex]x^2+ 2x+ y^2[/tex]?