Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian questions

1. May 6, 2011 #1
    Sorry to barge in on a thread, and im sorry if this is the wrong place, but is this a recommended scope http://firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dobsky150 for a amatuer and what could you expect to see with almost/ none light poplution.

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2011 #2
    Re: Planning to buy a first telescope?

I'd go for a slightly larger mirror for beginners so that they don't feel the need to upgrade after they start looking for the dimmer Messier objects in the suburbs of a bright city.

Messier only had a 4 inch scope, but he had no light pollution whatsoever. If you got light pollution, a bigger mirror is a good investment.

4. May 6, 2011 #3

K that's cool no problem. Yes basically where I live, South Wales,uk, I'm cushioned in every direction by mountains. If you take a short car drive to the top you virtually have no man made light at all. It's an incredible view even with just using your eyes.
    Thanks for the info as well :).

5. May 6, 2011 #4

My first real telescope was an 8-inch Dobsonian mounted scope like the one in the picture. Nothing real fancy on it, just a large tube with a couple of decent eyepieces with that simple mount. I actually recommend that mount for starting out.

6. Jun 10, 2011 #5

I plan on getting the above scope (http://firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dobsky150) within the next week/month
    I was wondering if anyone here has any nice shots taken with the above telescope or a similar specced
    Have you any recommendations of another telescope close to the original chosen scopes price +/- ££.

7. Jun 10, 2011 #6

turbo

Gold Member

It is highly unlikely that you will get any decent images through a Dobsonian 'scope as small as that. You can try, but you'll be disappointed, I fear. To get decent images that are not smeared/rotated, you should look for a telescope with a German equatorial drive, or equivalent. An undriven alt-az 'scope isn't going to make you happy, unless you just want to have nice visuals. A 6" Newt can get you a lot of satisfaction, visually, though.

8. Jun 10, 2011 #7

Thank you turbo-1. I wanted to quickly ask before I went ahead and purchased.
    To save myself embarrassment i'm going to ask rather than say what id like to see, so what is a amatuer like myself expecting to see with the telescopes you have mentioned.
    Further more I don't plan on attaching cameras to the telescope if this helps with price, what is the technology like these days can you purchase a reasonable scope that can be connected to your pc etc via a lead; that world be fantastic and a bonus although i'm not getting carried away.

9. Jun 10, 2011 #8

turbo

Gold Member

Don't worry about getting digital images to a PC. Learn how to observe and "see" (translate what light comes to your eye and manage that). After that, you should spend a lot of time at star-parties to see if you really want a larger 'scope. That would have been my first recommendation to you as a newbie, but it seems like you are jumping in anyway.

10. Jun 10, 2011 #9

It was an idea, perhaps I was being a little optimistic or just thinking that getting the images to PC was the norm. Either way i'll have a scope around (pun intended) and see what I can find :).
    thanks for your help :).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  11. Jun 10, 2011 #10

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I purchased the Meade Deep Sky Imager II Pro with my telescope. It's relatively easy to use, but the software is extremely buggy on my laptop. I believe it has something to do with Windows 7. I've never used anything else for astro imaging, so I can't comment on how it compares to other devices.

12. Jun 10, 2011 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Can you launch the s/w in "compatibility" mode? (Right click icon)

13. Jun 10, 2011 #12

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure if I did or not. I'll try next time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook