Increase Hover-Over Time: Fixes for Slower Responses

• Thread starter Vanadium 50
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is asking if the hover-over time on the main page and individual forums can be extended to a few seconds instead of appearing immediately. They find it difficult to click on sections with the current timing. The other person explains that it is not customizable but can be disabled if it is causing annoyance.
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2023 Award
Can the time spent hovering before the hover-over appears be lengthened to a few seconds? As I go to click on a section (in particular), the hover-over appears immediately, and I need to fight with it to get to a spot I can click.:(

OK, it's not really that bad, but it does give the experience a kind of pinball machine effect.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, I am referring to the main page and the individual forums. For example, if you hover over the words "Academic Guidance", a dark blue balloon appears saying "Which College and Degree Grad School and PhD Help". It would be good if the time were extended so it is clear that it's a hover and not a click. A few seconds should do it.

I'm afraid this isn't customizable. I can disable it entirely if people are annoyed by it.

1. What is "Increase Hover-Over Time" and why is it important?

"Increase Hover-Over Time" refers to the amount of time it takes for a hover-over action to trigger a response on a digital interface, such as a website or application. It is important because a slow response time can negatively impact user experience and lead to frustration and decreased engagement.

2. What are some common causes of slower hover-over responses?

There can be several reasons for slower hover-over responses, including heavy website or application traffic, outdated or inefficient coding, and issues with the server or network connection.

3. How can I improve hover-over response time on my website or application?

To improve hover-over response time, you can optimize your website or application code, reduce the size of images and other media, use caching and content delivery networks, and upgrade your server or network infrastructure.

4. Are there any quick fixes for slower hover-over responses?

In some cases, simply clearing your browser's cache or restarting your device can improve hover-over response time. However, for long-term and more significant improvements, it is recommended to address the underlying causes.

5. Is there a way to measure and track hover-over response time?

Yes, there are tools and methods available to measure and track hover-over response time, such as using browser developer tools or specialized performance testing software. These can help identify areas for improvement and track progress over time.