Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small black holes

1. Feb 7, 2007 #1

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the smallest mass required to produce a black hole? I seem to remember that some particles in a high energy accelerator could collide and produce tiny black holes that would then evaporate into Hawking radiation.

Could a mass that is less than the critical mass required to produce a black hole be made into one through some collision or explosive force?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2007 #2

Gold Member

I think those black holes are called micro black holes (where they ever observed?). The smallest mass needed would probably be planck mass.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  4. Feb 7, 2007 #3
    The critical mass is actually defined by the volume into which you enclose it. Therefore, for a given mass you can find a volume for which a black hole will form. That is the idea behind those collision.

This is speculative, it has not actually been observed.
  5. Feb 15, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I was thinking more along the line of a solar mass of about 13.5 times our sun. If we assume that a mass of 14 times our sun is required for gravity alone to produce a black hole, could an implosive force (shock) compress the sub-black hole mass into a black hole and if so, would the resulting black hole be stable?
  6. Feb 15, 2007 #5
    So that is not going to happen in an accelerator :surprised
    Technically, no black hole is stable. They evaporate (and we are fairly conviced that this is correct, independently of models, I mean it does not rely on string "theory" or LQG or whatever... the calculations of Hawking are semi-classical QFT in curved space-time).

I must admit that I do not fully understand you concerns :uhh:
    Producing micro black-hole at an accelerator simply consists in having a sufficient amount of matter(-energy) in a sufficiently small amount of space(-time). Of course we cannot get up to the Planck mass in accelerators, but this classical value can be lowered if (for instance) there are "large" extradimensions.

A good entry point in the literature is this article on Black Holes at Accelerators
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?