Exploring the Minimum Mass for Black Hole Formation

In summary: B. S. S. Anantharaman. In summary, a black hole is created when a large amount of matter and energy come into contact causing an event that will result in the release of energy in the form of Hawking radiation. It is theorized that a black hole could be made smaller by using an explosive force or collision. While a black hole is theoretically possible to create at a laboratory, it is not likely to happen.
chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
What is the smallest mass required to produce a black hole? I seem to remember that some particles in a high energy accelerator could collide and produce tiny black holes that would then evaporate into Hawking radiation.

Could a mass that is less than the critical mass required to produce a black hole be made into one through some collision or explosive force?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think those black holes are called micro black holes (where they ever observed?). The smallest mass needed would probably be Planck mass.

Last edited:
chemisttree said:
Could a mass that is less than the critical mass required to produce a black hole be made into one through some collision or explosive force?
The critical mass is actually defined by the volume into which you enclose it. Therefore, for a given mass you can find a volume for which a black hole will form. That is the idea behind those collision.

This is speculative, it has not actually been observed.

I was thinking more along the line of a solar mass of about 13.5 times our sun. If we assume that a mass of 14 times our sun is required for gravity alone to produce a black hole, could an implosive force (shock) compress the sub-black hole mass into a black hole and if so, would the resulting black hole be stable?

chemisttree said:
I was thinking more along the line of a solar mass of about 13.5 times our sun.
So that is not going to happen in an accelerator
If we assume that a mass of 14 times our sun is required for gravity alone to produce a black hole, could an implosive force (shock) compress the sub-black hole mass into a black hole and if so, would the resulting black hole be stable?
Technically, no black hole is stable. They evaporate (and we are fairly conviced that this is correct, independently of models, I mean it does not rely on string "theory" or LQG or whatever... the calculations of Hawking are semi-classical QFT in curved space-time).

I must admit that I do not fully understand you concerns :uhh:
Producing micro black-hole at an accelerator simply consists in having a sufficient amount of matter(-energy) in a sufficiently small amount of space(-time). Of course we cannot get up to the Planck mass in accelerators, but this classical value can be lowered if (for instance) there are "large" extradimensions.

A good entry point in the literature is this article on Black Holes at Accelerators

1. What exactly is a small black hole?

A small black hole is a type of black hole that has a relatively low mass compared to other types of black holes. It is formed from the collapse of a star or other massive object and has a gravitational pull that is strong enough to trap even light within its event horizon.

2. How small can a black hole be?

The smallest possible black hole is known as a primordial black hole and is thought to have a mass of around 10^-5 grams. However, most small black holes have masses ranging from a few solar masses to a few hundred solar masses.

3. Are small black holes dangerous?

Small black holes are not considered dangerous because their gravitational pull is only significant within a very close distance. They are also extremely rare and typically found in remote regions of the universe.

4. Can small black holes be used for energy production?

While small black holes have a tremendous amount of energy, it is currently not possible to harness it for energy production. The technology and understanding of black holes are still in its early stages, and the potential risks far outweigh the benefits.

5. Is it possible for a small black hole to grow in size?

Yes, it is possible for a small black hole to grow in size by absorbing matter and merging with other black holes. However, this growth is a slow process and would not be noticeable within a human lifetime.