Remember the old PF smileys? Want to bring them back?

• Thread starter Borg
  • Start date
In summary, with the arrival of PF version 4, a set of smileys was lost. However, there is hope as one user had backed them up before they were lost. The old smileys, along with a few others, are now available for retro-enjoyment by right-clicking on the desired smiley and inserting the image link into a post. The old smilies are now accessible through the "old school" tab in the smilie editor drop down. Thanks to Borg and Greg for making this possible and providing something of value to the PF community.
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
With the arrival of PF version 4, we lost a set of smileys that it seems many preferred. But, there is hope! I backed them up before they were lost. Here are the old smileys (along with a few others) for your retro-enjoyment.

Just right-click on the smiley that you want, select "Copy Image Location", and insert an image link into your post using the URL that you copied. There's a 6 attachment limit so this has to be spread over several posts to show them all. Enjoy.

Angel:
angel.gif

Approve:
approve.gif

Biggrin:
biggrin.gif

Blushing:
blushing.gif

Bowing:
bow.gif

Bugeye:
bugeye.gif

Last edited:
Likes atyy, lisab, epenguin and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Confused:
confused.gif

Cool:
cool.gif

Cry:
cry.gif

Devil:
devil.gif

Eek:
eek.gif

Frown:
frown.gif

Last edited:
Likes atyy
Grumpy:
grumpy.gif

Laughing:
laughing.gif

Love:
love.gif

Mad:
mad.gif

Redface:
redface.gif

Rolleyes:
rolleyes.gif

Likes atyy
Shy:
shy.gif

Smile:
smile.gif

Surprised:
surprised.gif

Tongue:
tongue.gif

Tongue2:
tongue2.gif

Uhh:
uhh.gif

Last edited:
Likes atyy
Wink:
wink.gif

Yuck:
yuck.gif

Zzz:
zzz.gif

Not from the original set but the mentors could probably use this:

Headbanger:
HeadBanger.gif

Last edited:
Likes atyy, OmCheeto, ehild and 2 others
Excellent! Thank you so much!

Borg said:
Just right-click on the smiley that you want, select "Copy Image Location", and insert an image link into your post using the URL that you copied. There's a 6 attachment limit so this has to be spread over several posts to show them all. Enjoy.
No need, I'll add them to the drop down sometime this week

Likes atyy, Evo and Borg
Greg Bernhardt said:
No need, I'll add them to the drop down sometime this week
Thanks Greg! The current list are using png formats. I assume that you'll leave these as animated gifs?

Borg said:
Thanks Greg! The current list are using png formats. I assume that you'll leave these as animated gifs?
yes

Greg Bernhardt said:
yes
bow-gif.75986.gif

The old smilies are now accessible via the smilie editor drop down in the "old school" tab.

Likes Borg, lisab, Orodruin and 1 other person
Greg Bernhardt said:
The old smilies are now accessible via the smilie editor drop down in the "old school" tab.
I have no idea what or where that is.

Evo said:
I have no idea what or where that is.
Click on the normal smilies button and there's an extra tab.
pf.jpg

Likes RonL and Evo
:bow: I didn't see it down there, thank you!

And Thank you Greg!

Oh, goody! I just used one! I'm happier than a pig in... well, you know... :olduhh:

No any facepalm
facepalm.gif
smiley?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Nice!

Thank you Borg and Greg!

:bow:

Greg Bernhardt said:
204156470.gif

Likes adjacent, RonL, OmCheeto and 3 others
@greg I noticed that one didn't get included.
tongue2-gif.gif

Likes atyy
Borg, you are a hero to many PF users now! :oldlove:

Evo said:
Borg, you are a hero to many PF users now! :oldlove:
Thanks Evo. :blushing: I'm honored to have provided something of such value to so many in the PF community.

Likes adjacent
This :oldconfused: seems to be different , I have the original one.(
confused.gif
) :oldsmile:

Likes atyy and Borg
adjacent said:
This :oldconfused: seems to be different , I have the original one.( View attachment 76074) :oldsmile:
Yes, I had all of them except that one. I recreated it from Evo's pictures in the other thread which is why it looks so different. I tried cleaning it up but it's definitely not the original. Perhaps Greg could replace it with yours?

Wow, Borg and Greg - thanks! The old smileys are so much better! :approve:

Likes Borg and Greg Bernhardt

1. What are the old PF smileys and why do people want them back?

The old PF smileys refer to the emoticons that were used on a popular online forum called Physics Forums. These smileys were unique and beloved by many users for their quirkiness and expressiveness. People want them back because they have a nostalgic attachment to them and find them more enjoyable and expressive than the current smileys.

2. Is there a specific reason why the old PF smileys were removed?

The old PF smileys were removed when the forum underwent a major design and software update. The new software did not support the old smileys, so they had to be replaced with a different set.

3. Can the old PF smileys be brought back without causing any issues?

It is possible to bring back the old PF smileys, but it may require some technical adjustments and updates to the forum's software. This process may take some time and resources, so it is ultimately up to the forum administrators to decide if it is worth implementing.

4. Are there any alternatives to bringing back the old PF smileys?

Yes, there are alternatives to bringing back the old PF smileys. Some users have suggested creating new smileys that are similar in style and expressiveness to the old ones. Additionally, users can also use external browser extensions or plugins to add custom smileys to their posts.

5. Do the old PF smileys have any impact on the forum's functionality or purpose?

No, the old PF smileys do not have any direct impact on the forum's functionality or purpose. They are simply a fun and expressive way for users to communicate with each other. However, bringing them back may improve the overall user experience and add to the forum's community and culture.