So how many of you nerds are spending new years eve alone?

• Thread starter Georgepowell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Years
In summary, the person is spending New Year's Eve at home with friends. They are watching some television, drinking beer and playing pool.
Georgepowell
Me for one :(

Physics news on Phys.org
*high five*
Me!

I have a non-nerdy wife that enjoys cooking as much as I do - we'll be making up little snacks and treats.

Well that's two of us :p

Well, I thoughtfully bought some video games at the local Gamestop yesterday, so at least in theory, I will not be browsing the net during New Years.

kingdomof said:
Well, I thoughtfully bought some video games at the local Gamestop yesterday, so at least in theory, I will not be browsing the net during New Years.

Browsing the net, or Playing a computer game.
I don't know if the latter is any better :p

I have drunk a bottle of wine and put on some loud music. That will keep me happy.

I've been sick and my wife has to work. Bah humbug!

Ivan Seeking said:
I've been sick and my wife has to work. Bah humbug!

Hmm, well my excuse for being antisocial is that I have been on holiday, and my phone has had no battery. So I haven't received all the invitations to parties that my (thousands of) friends sent me :p

I am going to a party, get a little drunk. Then come home and do some Goldstein problems.
Now that's fun.

Not really alone, but home with my parents. Pethetic? Nah, I wouldn't say so. Just tired of intensive partying. :cool:

This was posted elsewhere, but chat is open tonight:

https://www.physicsforums.com/chat/flashchat.php [Broken]

Happy New Year!

RedbellyAvatar_NewYear_anim10.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife and I are going to the Hotel about 9:00, along with our niece, her boyfriend (who is also our next-door neighbour) and our visiting nephew. We'll be digging on the band, playing VLT's, and drinking to excess. If there are people that I know playing, I might even sneak in a pool game or two. When they close at 3:00 am, we'll continue partying at home. Everything is within walking distance, and nobody has to work tomorrow.

edit: Just noticed your post, Redbelly. Nice touch to your avatar.

I'm hoping to catch some episodes of House tonight and am watching some movies and documentaries. :)

Mk said:
I'm hoping to catch some episodes of House tonight and am watching some movies and documentaries. :)

I'll be watching at least four episodes tonight to finish off season 1! (never saw it in its entirety)

I'll be spending New Year's at home with the lady (but she is having her special time of the month :eek: so I think that qualifies as spending it alone :rofl:)

I drank my first beer in, oh, fifteen years or so, the other night. Maybe I'll get crazy and have another.

My wife and I, two nerds, are spending tonight at home trying not to wake up our two-year-old daughter.

Mk said:

Saladsamurai said:
I'll be watching at least four episodes tonight to finish off season 1! (never saw it in its entirety)
House! Me too! Just got season two, disk two today from Netflix. I'll down one or two of those before going to bed at around 10.

Me and the wife* are getting up at 6AM, dumping the kids at the grandparents, and heading up North a bit to ski. We had full day of snow here, and the mountains are newly covered. We plan to be on the snow while most people are still trying to pry open their eyelids.

*Do NOT harass me about syntax!

Just got season 3 of House on dvd! So that will be taking up a good portion of New Years Day!

Last night I was much more social than usual. My best friend and I went out to a bar and rang in the new year with beer, music and pool. (She feels the need to keep me social so I don't become too nerdy:smile:)

I watched FIVE episodes last night...yesss! I'm two deep into season two :smile:

I'm in the club :)

I could of gone to a dance club with friends but paying $30 to get packed like sardines doesn't make sense.

I threw a cocktail party at my place :smile:

One disappointment: I haven't had any oil balls in the past month :frown: (a traditional snack) next year I should try and make some for myself.

It might be a bit too late... I was reading about coherent states and watching ABC when the counting was going... It was interesting how the countdown was a bit out of sync (w.r.t to the ball drop). I bet they didn't know about the leap second!

1. What is the definition of a "nerd" in this context?

A "nerd" in this context refers to an individual who is highly interested and knowledgeable in academic or technical subjects, particularly in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.

2. Is spending New Year's Eve alone a common occurrence among scientists?

It is difficult to determine how common it is for scientists to spend New Year's Eve alone as it varies greatly among individuals. Some scientists may prefer to spend the holiday alone to focus on their work or personal interests, while others may prefer to celebrate with friends and family.

3. Are there any potential benefits to spending New Year's Eve alone as a scientist?

Spending New Year's Eve alone as a scientist may provide the opportunity for introspection and reflection on personal and professional goals, as well as the chance to catch up on work or hobbies without distractions.

4. Is there a stigma surrounding spending New Year's Eve alone as a scientist?

There is no inherent stigma surrounding spending New Year's Eve alone as a scientist. However, societal pressure to be social and participate in traditional holiday celebrations may contribute to feelings of isolation or loneliness for some individuals.

5. Are there any potential negative effects of spending New Year's Eve alone as a scientist?

Spending New Year's Eve alone as a scientist may lead to feelings of loneliness or isolation, especially if an individual is craving social interaction. It is important for individuals to prioritize self-care and reach out to friends or loved ones if they are feeling overwhelmed or isolated during the holiday.