Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So how many of you nerds are spending new years eve alone?

1. Dec 31, 2008 #1
    Me for one :(

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2008 #2
    *high five*
    Me!

4. Dec 31, 2008 #3

turbo

Gold Member

I have a non-nerdy wife that enjoys cooking as much as I do - we'll be making up little snacks and treats.

5. Dec 31, 2008 #4
    Well that's two of us :p

6. Dec 31, 2008 #5
    Well, I thoughtfully bought some video games at the local Gamestop yesterday, so at least in theory, I will not be browsing the net during New Years.

7. Dec 31, 2008 #6
    Browsing the net, or Playing a computer game.
    I don't know if the latter is any better :p

I have drunk a bottle of wine and put on some loud music. That will keep me happy.

8. Dec 31, 2008 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've been sick and my wife has to work. Bah humbug!

9. Dec 31, 2008 #8
    Hmm, well my excuse for being antisocial is that I have been on holiday, and my phone has had no battery. So I haven't received all the invitations to parties that my (thousands of) friends sent me :p

10. Dec 31, 2008 #9
    I am going to a party, get a little drunk. Then come home and do some Goldstein problems.
    Now that's fun.

11. Dec 31, 2008 #10

radou

Homework Helper

Not really alone, but home with my parents. Pethetic? Nah, I wouldn't say so. Just tired of intensive partying. :cool:

12. Dec 31, 2008 #11

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

13. Dec 31, 2008 #12

Danger

Gold Member

Wife and I are going to the Hotel about 9:00, along with our niece, her boyfriend (who is also our next-door neighbour) and our visiting nephew. We'll be digging on the band, playing VLT's, and drinking to excess. If there are people that I know playing, I might even sneak in a pool game or two. When they close at 3:00 am, we'll continue partying at home. Everything is within walking distance, and nobody has to work tomorrow.

edit: Just noticed your post, Redbelly. Nice touch to your avatar.

14. Dec 31, 2008 #13

Mk

I'm hoping to catch some episodes of House tonight and am watching some movies and documentaries. :)

15. Dec 31, 2008 #14
    I'll be watching at least four episodes tonight to finish off season 1!! (never saw it in its entirety)

I'll be spending New Year's at home with the lady (but she is having her special time of the month :eek: so I think that qualifies as spending it alone :rofl:)

16. Dec 31, 2008 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I drank my first beer in, oh, fifteen years or so, the other night. Maybe I'll get crazy and have another.

17. Dec 31, 2008 #16

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My wife and I, two nerds, are spending tonight at home trying not to wake up our two-year-old daughter.

18. Dec 31, 2008 #17

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

House! Me too! Just got season two, disk two today from Netflix. I'll down one or two of those before going to bed at around 10.

Me and the wife* are getting up at 6AM, dumping the kids at the grandparents, and heading up North a bit to ski. We had full day of snow here, and the mountains are newly covered. We plan to be on the snow while most people are still trying to pry open their eyelids.

*Do NOT harass me about syntax!

19. Jan 1, 2009 #18

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just got season 3 of House on dvd! So that will be taking up a good portion of New Years Day!

Last night I was much more social than usual. My best friend and I went out to a bar and rang in the new year with beer, music and pool. (She feels the need to keep me social so I don't become too nerdy:smile:)

20. Jan 1, 2009 #19
    I watched FIVE episodes last night...yesss! I'm two deep into season two :smile:

21. Jan 1, 2009 #20
    I'm in the club :)

I could of gone to a dance club with friends but paying $30 to get packed like sardines doesn't make sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?