How do we derive the Earth's yearly mean temperature?

billjohnson
I'm new to this.
I would like to know how we derive the earth's yearly mean temp.
I assume there are thermometers all over the world, buy how many and how are they connected, how frequently are temps taken?
Stuff line that

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Bill. :smile:

billjohnson said:
Stuff line that
What's that mean?

Stuff LIKE that

Oh, got it (sort of).

What have you found so far in your Google searching for how global temperatures are measured and communicated? It was probably harder in the pre-Internet days, but there must be some sort of standard temperature monitoring stations all linked up via the Internet now, no?

You have effectively restated my question. Do you know the answer?

Nope, but I know how to use Google. What have you found so far?

(we prefer that folks show their efforts on their questions before we try to help out)... :wink:

Likes Vanadium 50
I'm not in class.

I thought people who frequented forums knew something about the subject and would answer questions.

Guess not.

billjohnson said:
I'm not in class.

I thought people who frequented forums knew something about the subject and would answer questions.

Guess not.
Of course we do and we can. But part of PF's mission is to help folks to learn how to learn. We don't spoon-feed folks here. Please do at least a little Google searching and post what you find. If you have questions about what you have found, we are happy to help you with those questions.

billjohnson said:
I'm not in class.

Guess not.
You have mistaken this for a Q&A forum where you DO just ask and get answered. We are much more interested in helping people learn how to learn. Spoon feeding answers is boring. As @berkeman said, we expect some effort on your part. Again, not a Q&A forum.

If you just want an answer, learn to use Google.

Likes Vanadium 50, russ_watters and berkeman
New PF user has been reminded to do their own research before asking for help in the forums
This is not a "Q and A" forum? Really?

Well, you have asked me questions and I have answered them, and that's "Q and A".

So, you can ask questions and get them answered but I can't.

This forum is useless.

By the way, telling me to learn to use google is a snide insult. Why do you go there?

billjohnson said:
This is not a "Q and A" forum? Really?

Well, you have asked me questions and I have answered them, and that's "Q and A".

So, you can ask questions and get them answered but I can't.

This forum is useless.

By the way, telling me to learn to use google is a snide insult. Why do you go there?
Suggesting that you actually use Google to search on your question before asking volunteers to spend their time to do that for you? Who is insulting whom?

This thread is done. If you have trouble with your Google search, send me a PM. Lordy.

Likes GeologistInDisguise, vela, Vanadium 50 and 7 others

1. How is the Earth's yearly mean temperature calculated?

The Earth's yearly mean temperature is calculated by taking the average of the daily temperatures recorded at various locations around the world over the course of a year. This data is then combined and analyzed to determine the overall mean temperature for the entire planet.

2. What factors are taken into account when deriving the Earth's yearly mean temperature?

Several factors are considered when deriving the Earth's yearly mean temperature, including air and ocean temperatures, land surface temperatures, and sea ice coverage. These factors are measured and analyzed using various instruments and techniques to get an accurate representation of the Earth's overall temperature.

3. How do scientists account for changes in temperature over time when calculating the Earth's yearly mean temperature?

To account for changes in temperature over time, scientists use long-term data sets that span several decades or even centuries. This allows them to identify and analyze trends and patterns in temperature fluctuations, and make adjustments for any potential biases in the data.

4. Can the Earth's yearly mean temperature be affected by natural events such as volcanic eruptions or solar activity?

Yes, natural events such as volcanic eruptions and solar activity can have a significant impact on the Earth's yearly mean temperature. Volcanic eruptions can release large amounts of ash and gases into the atmosphere, which can block sunlight and cause a temporary cooling effect. Solar activity, such as changes in the sun's energy output, can also influence the Earth's temperature over time.

5. How do scientists ensure the accuracy of the Earth's yearly mean temperature data?

Scientists use a variety of methods to ensure the accuracy of the Earth's yearly mean temperature data. This includes using multiple data sets from different sources, cross-checking with other climate indicators such as sea level and ice cover, and regularly calibrating and updating measurement instruments. Additionally, peer review and collaboration among scientists help to validate the accuracy of the data and results.