So I am having some trouble solving these equations

• Thread starter mazz1801
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving four equations to find values for T1, T2, a1, and a2. The equations involve m1, m2, m3, g, and μ, and the attempt at a solution involves combining two equations to end up with g = a1 - a2(m2+m3)/(m2-m3).
mazz1801

Homework Statement

Elementary I know but could I please get some help solving the following four equations. It's simple calculus but I'm getting nowhere with what I have done!Solve for T1, T2, a1, a2

Homework Equations

m2g-T2 = m2 (a1-a2)
m3g-T2 = m3 (a1+a2)
T1-T2 = 0
T1-μm1g = m1a1(note that the the numbers after a and t are not numerical values. Just to show that the T1 has a different value for T2 etc. )

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have tried combining equations
m2g-T2 = m2 (a1-a2)
m3g-T2 = m3 (a1+a2)

and ended up with g = a1- a2(m2+m3)/(m2-m3)After that I just can't figure out what to do next!
any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Its ok... just got it!

What are equations?

Equations are mathematical expressions that use symbols and numbers to represent a relationship between different quantities or variables.

Why are equations important?

Equations are important because many natural phenomena and scientific laws can be described and predicted using mathematical equations. They also allow scientists to make precise calculations and solve complex problems.

What kind of equations can be solved?

There are many different types of equations that can be solved, such as linear equations, quadratic equations, differential equations, and more. The type of equation that can be solved depends on its structure and the tools and techniques available for solving it.

What are some strategies for solving equations?

There are various strategies for solving equations, including substitution, elimination, graphing, and using mathematical properties such as the distributive property or the quadratic formula. The most effective strategy to use depends on the type of equation and the problem at hand.

What can I do if I am having trouble solving equations?

If you are having trouble solving equations, it can be helpful to break the problem down into smaller steps, check your work and calculations, or seek help from a teacher or tutor. Practice and persistence can also improve your skills in solving equations.