Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So many opinions, why are mine the only ones that are right?

1. Aug 28, 2008 #1
    I was reading the thread about favorite movies and I was suprised at how different everyone's lists are. It got me thinking. People are different and like different things, but we are all humans and have lots of things in common. Is it possible that anything could ever be created that everyone would say "That is the best."
    Edit: I guess the Earth is a planet we can all agree is the best planet for us to live on.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2008 #2
    .....pf?

4. Aug 28, 2008 #3
    sorry, the brown-nosing forum is next door.

5. Aug 28, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

In other words, you are asking "Why do people differ in beliefs and opinions?".

6. Aug 28, 2008 #5
    No I'm asking "People differ in beliefs and opinions, but is there something so perfect we can all agree on its perfectnessitude?"
    I don't usually think deep thoughts, but something got me thinking about perfectness. Must have caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror again.

7. Aug 28, 2008 #6
    Because a bell curve has two ends...

(IQ is distributed normally)

8. Aug 28, 2008 #7
    Never!

There are some ethics and morals but some people are either happier going against them or constrained for not agreeing with those ethics.
    (e.g. terrorists, cultural/national disputes)

9. Aug 28, 2008 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The best "known" planet.

10. Aug 28, 2008 #9
    Satisfaction.

11. Aug 28, 2008 #10

Evo

I'm rather dissatisfied with my level of satisfaction.

12. Aug 28, 2008 #11
    That is a fact though, not an opinion. We don't have the ability to even look for anything remotely better yet.

13. Aug 28, 2008 #12
    okay miss snotty. that's about enough out of you.

14. Aug 28, 2008 #13
    Are you saying your life is imperfect?

...but of course I was speaking of the Rolling Stone's interpretation of the word.

15. Aug 28, 2008 #14
    EARTH??? what about Krypton?! Have you seen what the people from there can do? they have the power to completely conceal their identity by putting on a pair of glasses!

16. Aug 28, 2008 #15

Evo

I can't get no satisfaction.

:biggrin:

17. Sep 2, 2008 #16
    i think this is an interesting question. The variation in opinion on almost anything is surprisingly wide. Even in the scientific sphere ,agreement on the results of seemingly rationally constructed arguments is difficult. Prior beliefs, convictions, vested interests,ego, sales 'skill', mood swings, all of it seems to get in the way. In the general human sphere, i think its a mad-house of opinions (inlcusive of the current one admittedly), the range of which i think is very easy to grossly underestimate.

18. Sep 2, 2008 #17
    Wow, you are deep. I was just trying to get someone to say. Yes, tribdog, you are perfect and we all agree on that.

19. Sep 2, 2008 #18

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

No need to. You've said it for us now.

20. Sep 2, 2008 #19
    I felt like if it was going to be said it was going to be me who said it.

21. Sep 2, 2008 #20

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing yourself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?