Societies and Journals in Optical-Mechanical Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses different societies and journals that are commonly used for conferences and research work in the fields of Optical Engineering, detector work, and Optical-Mechanical Engineering. The two prominent societies mentioned are SPIE and IEEE, with the addition of the Society for Information Display (SID). The Electrochemical Society and its journals are also suggested for those interested in materials and fabrication for optoelectronic devices.
Tone L
Hi folks.

For those in Optical Engineering, detector work or the Optical-Mechanical Engineering field I was curious which society do you use for conferences and research work. Which journals do you tend to look at for research literature.

I see SPIE and IEEE are the prominent ones, any others?

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
Also paging @Drakkith :smile:

Don't look at me. I never graduated. :frown:

Drakkith said:
Don't look at me. I never graduated. :frown:
Goofball. :smile:

What did you like to read while you were in school? Did you read SID Proceedings at all? I enjoyed going to local meetings/seminars and I think I went to one or two national conferences. That was in the early days of commercial LCDs and VR HUDs, Exciting stuff. :smile:

berkeman said:
What did you like to read while you were in school? Did you read SID Proceedings at all?

Nope. I was an undergrad, so I was more focused on basics than on getting familiar with all the new literature.

Likes berkeman
OP: If you have an interest in materials and fabrication for optoelectronic devices, take a look at the Electrochemical Society and its journals: https://www.electrochem.org/

Likes Tone L

1. What is Optical-Mechanical Engineering?

Optical-Mechanical Engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and application of systems that integrate both optical and mechanical components. This field combines principles from optics, mechanics, electronics, and materials science to create devices such as cameras, telescopes, and laser systems.

2. What are some prominent societies in Optical-Mechanical Engineering?

Some prominent societies in Optical-Mechanical Engineering include the Optical Society (OSA), the International Society for Optics and Photonics (SPIE), and the Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE). These societies provide resources and support for researchers, engineers, and professionals in the field.

3. How do I publish my research in an Optical-Mechanical Engineering journal?

To publish your research in an Optical-Mechanical Engineering journal, you can start by identifying relevant journals in the field and checking their submission guidelines. Most journals have an online submission system where you can submit your manuscript along with any required materials, such as figures and tables. The submission will then go through a peer-review process before a decision is made on whether to accept it for publication.

4. What are the benefits of joining a society in Optical-Mechanical Engineering?

Joining a society in Optical-Mechanical Engineering can provide numerous benefits, such as networking opportunities with other professionals in the field, access to conferences and workshops, and access to resources and publications. Membership in a society can also enhance your professional credibility and provide opportunities for career advancement.

5. What are some emerging research topics in Optical-Mechanical Engineering?

Some emerging research topics in Optical-Mechanical Engineering include the development of advanced optical materials and devices, the integration of optics and electronics for data communication and sensing applications, and the application of optical technologies in areas such as biomedicine and renewable energy. Other areas of interest include nanophotonics, quantum optics, and adaptive optics.