Soft condense matter & quantum mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of quantum mechanics in the field of molecule dynamics. It is mentioned that classical interaction is typically considered between molecules, but there may be cases where quantum mechanics is needed, such as in designing atomic/molecular interactions. The Car-Parinello technique is also mentioned as a potential tool for quantum molecular dynamics.
markoX
Hi,
One of the fields of condense matter is molecule dynamics.I want to know does quantum mechanics use in this field?
I think just classical interaction is considered between molecules in molecule dynamics.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Depending on the nature of the system that is being simulated, the algorithm may be more or less classical. There are definitely cases when you may need to use QM, especially to design the atomic/molecular interaction or potential function.

I think typically when people do quantum molecular dynamics they use the Car-Parinello technique. There's a code available here: http://www.cpmd.org/cpmd.html [Broken] but I've never used it so I can't comment on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is soft condensed matter?

Soft condensed matter is a subfield of physics that studies the behavior and properties of materials that are easily deformable, such as liquids, polymers, gels, and colloids. These materials are typically composed of large molecules or particles and exhibit unique physical phenomena at the mesoscale.

2. How does quantum mechanics apply to soft condensed matter?

Quantum mechanics is a fundamental theory that describes the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic level. Soft condensed matter systems, although macroscopic in size, are still governed by the principles of quantum mechanics. This is because the particles that make up these materials have wave-like properties that can only be described using quantum mechanics.

3. What are some examples of soft condensed matter systems?

Some examples of soft condensed matter systems include liquid crystals, emulsions, foams, and biological materials such as cell membranes and proteins. These systems often have complex structures and exhibit unique properties that are different from those of traditional solids, liquids, or gases.

4. How does soft condensed matter research impact everyday life?

Soft condensed matter research has a wide range of applications in various fields, including materials science, pharmaceuticals, and biotechnology. Understanding the behavior of soft materials allows for the development of new products and technologies, such as drug delivery systems, cosmetics, and food products.

5. What are some current challenges in soft condensed matter and quantum mechanics research?

One of the main challenges in this field is understanding and predicting the behavior of complex soft matter systems, which often involve a large number of interacting particles. Additionally, bridging the gap between classical and quantum descriptions of soft matter is an area of active research, as classical theories often fail to explain certain phenomena observed at the nanoscale.