1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solubility of a Substance in solution

1. Jun 18, 2012 #1
    What is the solubility of Mg(OH)2 in a 0.55mol/L solution of KOH if the Ksp of Mg(OH)2 is 9.0x10-12?

I figured out that the initial concentration of OH- in the solution is 0.55mol/L. I did an ICE table for Mg(OH)2 and (assume x represents an unknown concentration) found that the concentration of Mg2+ is x, and OH- is 0.55mol/L+2x.
    So if I continue with it, I get to this point:

Ksp=[Mg2+][OH-]^2
    9.0x10-12=x(2x+0.55)^2
    When i expand it and move everything to the right, i get a cubic equation that takes a lot of time to solve and so I get the feeling I'm not approaching this correctly. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2012 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since the Ksp of MgOH2 is only 9X10-12, you see that the concentration of OH- is ABSOLUTELY DOMINATED by the concentration of OH- due to KOH, which is completely soluble at that concentration. Thus, the hydroxide term for your solubility expression is quite accurately approximated as (0.55)2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook