1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Selective Precipitation Chemistry Problem

1. Oct 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A solution of [itex]AgNO_{3}[/itex] is added to a solution containing 0.100 M [itex]Cl^{-}[/itex] and 0.100 [itex]CrO_{4}^{2-}[/itex].

What will be the concentration of the less soluble compund when the more soluble one begins to precipitate?

2. Relevant equations
    Ksp AgCl = [itex]1.82 x 10^{-10}[/itex]
    Ksp Ag2CrO4 = [itex]1.2 x 10^{-12}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So, by calculating for their molar solubilities, I would know which one would precipitate first (which one is more soluble or less soluble)

(2x)^2 (x) = Ksp Ag2CrO4
    x=Molar solubility of Ag2CrO4 = 6.69 x 10^-5 M
    (x)(x) = Ksp AgCl
    x= Molar solubility of AgCl = 1.35 x 10^-5 M

Thus, Ag2CrO4 is more soluble and AgCl is the less soluble compound.

Now, how will I find the concentration of the less soluble compound when the more soluble one begins to precipitate?

Please guide me. Here's my attempt for a solution.

The more soluble compound, Ag2CrO4 will begin to precipitate at this Ag+ concentration

[Ag+]^2 [CrO42-] = Ksp Ag2CrO4
    [Ag+] = sqrt( Ksp Ag2CrO4 / [CrO42-] ) = 3.46 x 10^-6 M

Now, how would I find the concentration of AgCl in the solution? Again, here is my attempt:

I think, I should substitute the Ag+ concentration at the formula

[Ag+][Cl-] = Ksp AgCl

, But, is the Cl- concentration that I will get equal to the concentration of AgCl in the solution? I'm very confused. :(. Anyway, here's an attempt:

[Cl-] = Ksp AgCl / [Ag+] = 5.26 x 10^-5 M

I mean, the answer CAN be plausible since the concentration seemingly decreased. Is it correct guys?

I think what I am having problem with is that why would the concentration of AgCl be equal to the equilibrium conc of Cl- ?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2013 #2
    Anyone here who can help me? Our test didn't include anything like this (thank god), but anyway, I still feel the need to learn this kind of stuff. It looks simple but I still can't be certain about this.

Please help.

4. Oct 22, 2013 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, somehow I missed your post earlier.

What you did is correct. I guess the wording of the problem is wrong - it is a classic question, asked every year everywhere, and it always asks about concentration of the ion (Cl- here) and not "compound". Compound is ambiguous in this context which is why you are confused.

5. Oct 22, 2013 #4
    Oh. Truth be told, I was wacking my head finding a similar problem in text books & internet and like you said, it's concerned only on the final equilibrium concentration of an ion. Thanks.

I guess it's time to suggest to our institute to revise their laboratory manual, or at least their self-assesment questions. It has become more of a confusion rather than a help.

Again, thank you very much. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted