Solution for f(n) in recurrence equation

• Thread starter Bruno Tolentino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Recurrence
In summary, a recurrence equation is a mathematical equation used to define a sequence of values based on previous values. It is solved by finding a closed-form formula, and there are two types: homogeneous and non-homogeneous. A recurrence equation can have multiple solutions, and it is commonly used in computer science for analyzing algorithms and modeling programs and systems.
Bruno Tolentino
Exist solution for SAR(n+1) in this equation:

5d3067fc0eb6fe426183193d6e3c0cb5.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parabolic_SAR

?

I want to eliminate SAR(n), but I never saw this kind of equation before...

Physics news on Phys.org
If you substitute ##SAR_n## by ##SAR_n = SAR_{n-1}+\alpha (EP-SAR_{n-1})## and so on, you will get the following (where I substituted ##n+1## by ##n## and if I made no mistake):
$$SAR_{n}=(1-\alpha)^{n}SAR_0+(1-(1-\alpha)^{n})EP$$

Likes Bruno Tolentino

1. What is a recurrence equation?

A recurrence equation is a mathematical equation that defines a sequence of values based on the previous values in the sequence. It is often used to model the behavior of a system over time.

2. How do you solve a recurrence equation?

The solution for a recurrence equation involves finding a closed-form formula that expresses the nth term of the sequence in terms of n. This can be done by using various methods such as substitution, iteration, or generating functions.

3. What is the difference between homogeneous and non-homogeneous recurrence equations?

A homogeneous recurrence equation has a right-hand side that is equal to 0, while a non-homogeneous recurrence equation has a non-zero right-hand side. The solution process for these types of equations is different, with non-homogeneous equations requiring additional techniques such as the method of undetermined coefficients.

4. Can a recurrence equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a recurrence equation can have multiple solutions depending on the initial conditions and the form of the equation. In some cases, there may be a closed-form solution, while in others, the solution may be expressed as a summation or series.

5. How are recurrence equations used in computer science?

Recurrence equations are commonly used in computer science for analyzing the time and space complexity of algorithms. They can also be used to model the behavior of programs and systems, and to solve problems in areas such as graph theory, combinatorics, and cryptography.