Obtaining recurrence relation from a given sequence

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of obtaining a recurrence relation that describes a sequence of numbers by using powerful techniques such as generating functions or the Z-transform. The question is raised whether there are equally powerful techniques to do the reverse, i.e. given the closed-form of a sequence, obtain a recurrence relation for it. One possible recurrence relation is also mentioned.
mnb96
Hello,

it is known that given a certain recurrence relation that describes a sequence of numbers, it is often possible to obtain a function f[n] that directly yields the n-th number of the sequence. This is usually accomplished by using powerful techniques involving generating functions or the Z-transform (see for instance this thread).

My question is: are there equally powerful techniques that allow one to do the reverse, i.e. given the closed-form f[n] of a sequence, obtain one possible recurrence relation that describes the same sequence (even approximately)?

I am mot sure this is the right forum, but at least I see an analogy between Laplace transform and Z-transform and between the above problem and its continuous analog, i.e. given a certain function f(x), find a differential equation for which f is a solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

mnb96 said:
Hello,

it is known that given a certain recurrence relation that describes a sequence of numbers, it is often possible to obtain a function f[n] that directly yields the n-th number of the sequence. This is usually accomplished by using powerful techniques involving generating functions or the Z-transform (see for instance this thread).

My question is: are there equally powerful techniques that allow one to do the reverse, i.e. given the closed-form f[n] of a sequence, obtain one possible recurrence relation that describes the same sequence (even approximately)?

Trivially, if [itex]x_n = f(n)[/itex], then [tex]x_{n+1} = x_n + f(n+1) - f(n)[/tex] is one such recurrence relation.

What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that defines a sequence of numbers in terms of previous terms in the sequence. It is used to describe the relationship between each term and the previous terms in a sequence.

Why is it important to obtain a recurrence relation from a given sequence?

Obtaining a recurrence relation allows for the prediction of future terms in a sequence without having to explicitly list out all the previous terms. It also helps in understanding the underlying pattern and structure of the sequence.

What are some common methods for obtaining recurrence relations?

Some common methods for obtaining recurrence relations include finding a closed-form formula, using generating functions, and using the method of undetermined coefficients.

What are some challenges in obtaining recurrence relations?

One of the challenges in obtaining recurrence relations is that there may be multiple possible relations for a given sequence. It may also be difficult to find a general form for the recurrence relation, particularly for more complex sequences.

How are recurrence relations used in real-world applications?

Recurrence relations are used in a variety of fields, including computer science, physics, and economics. They can be used to model and predict patterns in data, analyze algorithms and processes, and solve optimization problems.