Solution form for the following differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation involving an elastic ball and a flat surface, with specific parameters and an exponent. The individual has attempted to solve it numerically and tried using Wolfram Alpha, but only received a complicated integral expression instead of a closed analytical form. They mention using Mathematica for evaluation and express gratitude for the time and help provided.
Josu Aguirrebeitia
Hi. After arranging the dynamic contact between a elastic ball against a flat, I have reached the following differential equation for the motion during the contact:

m·x’’+(k+c·x’)·x^n=0

with m,c,k>0 and for exponent n --> 1<n<2

Any functional form for this equation? I have solved it numerically but I would love if any functional analytical form exist...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried sending it to Wolfram Alpha, which I think is run on Mathematica. It required the Pro package (which I have) to solve it, but even so what I got was a complicated integral expression involving the Lambert W function rather than a closed form analytical expression.

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=m·x(t)’’+(k+c·x(t)’)·x(t)^n=0

Solution: $$\alpha_1 + t = \int_1^{x(t)} \frac {c} {k\left(
-W\left(\frac
{-\sqrt[n+1]{\exp\left(\frac{c^2 \xi^{n+1}}{km}\right) - n - \frac{c^2n\alpha_1}{k} - \frac{c^2\alpha_1}{k} - 1}}
{k}\right)
\right) - k} d\xi$$
But then it also said the computation time was exceeded, so maybe there was more it could do with this.

If you have access to Mathematica, this is the code it generated to evaluate the expression.
Code:
DSolve[{x[t]^n (k + c x'[t]) + m x''[t] == 0}, x[t], t]

Likes Josu Aguirrebeitia
Thank you for your time RPinPA, I appreciate. However, a numerical procedure is to be used in this case too, I solved the equation numerically for t with a explicit scheme, but I am after a closed analytical form of the solution... maybe impossible...

Thank you again!

J
---

1. What is a solution form for a differential equation?

A solution form for a differential equation is an expression that represents all possible solutions to the equation. It typically includes arbitrary constants that can be adjusted to fit specific initial conditions.

2. How do I determine the solution form for a given differential equation?

The solution form for a differential equation can be determined by solving the equation using integration techniques. The resulting expression will be the general solution form, which can then be adjusted to fit any given initial conditions.

3. Can a differential equation have multiple solution forms?

Yes, a differential equation can have multiple solution forms depending on the initial conditions and the techniques used to solve it. Some equations may have infinite solution forms.

4. What is the importance of finding the solution form for a differential equation?

Finding the solution form for a differential equation allows us to understand and predict the behavior of a system described by the equation. It also enables us to solve for specific values and make predictions about the future behavior of the system.

5. Are there any standard solution forms for differential equations?

Yes, there are standard solution forms for certain types of differential equations, such as first-order linear equations, second-order linear equations, and separable equations. However, each equation may have a unique solution form depending on its specific characteristics.