Solution to Schroedinger Equation for a huge hypothetical

• Thread starter Sven Andersson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hypothetical
In summary, it is difficult to find an exact solution to the Schrodinger equation for systems of more than one or two particles, and even if you could, the electron would have a very small binding energy.
Sven Andersson
Solution to Schroedinger Equation for a huge hypothetical atom?

Let's say you have hypothetical atomic nucleus with a very large Z, say a million times of the most highly charged ones; what would be the solution to the SE at very large n's i.e. at very large distances, say several centimeters, from the hypothetical nucleus?

S.A.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
... short answer: complicated.
Depends what you want to find out... the basic prediction is that the nucleus will break apart in a very short time, and that the electron binding energies would be, in any case, very small.

Note: It is very difficult to find exact solutions to the schrodinger equation for systems of more than one or two particles.

Last edited:
Clarification; I meant a solution to SE for a two body problem; one electron and one nucleus with Z=1 000 000. Let's assume that the nucleus is stable and has atomic weight 2 000 000. And the solution I want is for n=1000 or higher (at a distance of several centimeters). What values do you plug in? What does the equation look like?

So you're looking for the solution for an electron bound in the field of a fixed point charge... That two body problem is just the hydrogen atom with potential ##U(r)=\frac{-Ze}{4\pi\epsilon_0{r}}##

Google for "hydrogen atom Schrodinger" will find it.
It won't be even slightly realistic for many reasons, but that's a different problem.

Last edited:
Sven Andersson said:
I meant a solution to SE for a two body problem; one electron and one nucleus with Z=1 000 000. Let's assume that the nucleus is stable and has atomic weight 2 000 000.
I suggest once you find the eigenfunctions to this problem, you do a quick evaluation of the expected value for the momentum of an electron in the ground state. Then divide by electron mass to get the average speed of the electron. Then come back and tell me why such a system can't exist (or is overlooking something fundamental).

What they said... also, the distance from the nucleus is a trickier concept than how you appear to be thinking.
Such conceptual exercizes can be good for uncovering these nuances.

1. What is the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum systems, such as atoms and molecules. It was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1926.

2. What is meant by "solution" to the Schrödinger equation?

A solution to the Schrödinger equation refers to a mathematical function that satisfies the equation and describes the quantum state of a system. This solution can be used to calculate the probability of finding a particle at a given location or time.

3. How does the Schrödinger equation work for a huge hypothetical system?

The Schrödinger equation works for any quantum system, regardless of its size. However, for larger systems, the equation becomes more complex and difficult to solve. In these cases, numerical methods and approximations are often used to find solutions.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is used in many areas of physics and chemistry, including quantum mechanics, atomic and molecular physics, and materials science. It is also used in engineering fields such as nanotechnology and quantum computing.

5. Are there any limitations to the Schrödinger equation?

While the Schrödinger equation is a fundamental tool in quantum mechanics, it does have limitations. It does not account for certain phenomena, such as the effects of relativity and gravity, and it does not provide a complete understanding of particles that are entangled or in superposition states.