Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution to the scalar wave equation in cylindrical coordinates

1. Jun 23, 2013 #1
    Hello.

I don't know how to prove that a certain function is a solution to the scalar wave equation in cylindrical coordinates.

The scalar wave equation is
    [tex]\left(\nabla^2+k^2\right)\,\phi(\vec{r})=0,[/tex]which in cylindrical coordinates is
    [tex]\frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial}{\partial\rho}\left(\rho\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial\rho}\right)+\frac{1}{\rho^2}\frac{\partial^2\phi}{\partial \varphi^2}+\frac{\partial^2\phi}{\partial z^2},[/tex]where the translation between cartesian and cylindrical coordinates is given by [itex]\rho=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/itex], [itex]\varphi=\arctan\left(y/x\right)[/itex], [itex]z=z[/itex].

According to Scattering of electromagnetic waves: theories and applications by Tsang L, Kong J A and Ding K-H, a solution to this is the function
    [tex]\phi(\vec{r})=J_n\left(k_\rho \rho\right)\,e^{i\left(n \varphi+k_z z\right)},[/tex]where [itex]k^2=k_\rho^2+k_z^2[/itex], [itex]n\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex], and [itex]J_n[/itex] is the first-kind Bessel function of the [itex]n[/itex]-th order.

I know very little about Bessel functions. I do know, however, that
    [tex]J_n(x)=\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^m}{m!\,\Gamma(m+n+1)}\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)^{2m+n},[/tex]which, by writing [itex]\Gamma(m+n+1)[/itex] explicitly, becomes[tex]J_n(x)=\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^m}{m!\,\int_0^{\infty} t^{m+n}\,e^{-t}\,dt}\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)^{2m+n}.[/tex]I also know that
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx}J_n(x)=\frac{1}{2}\left[J_{n-1}(x)-J_{n+1}(x)\right].[/tex]
    So I set out to prove that this is indeed a solution to the wave equation in cylindrical coordinates. However, I didn't get very far. Here's what I did:
    [tex]\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial\rho}=\frac{k_\rho}{2}\left[J_{n-1}(k_\rho \rho)-J_{n+1}(k_\rho \rho)\right]\,e^{i\,(n \varphi+k_z z)}[/tex][itex]\Rightarrow[/itex][tex]\left(\nabla^2+k^2\right)\,\phi=\frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial}{\partial \rho}\left[\frac{k_\rho \rho}{2}J_{n-1}(k_\rho \rho)-\frac{k_\rho \rho}{2}J_{n+1}(k_\rho \rho)\right]\,e^{i\,(n \varphi+k_z z)}-\left(\frac{n^2}{\rho^2}+k_z^2\right)\,J_n(k_\rho \rho)\,e^{i\,(n \varphi+k_z z)}[/tex][itex]\Rightarrow[/itex][tex]\left(\nabla^2+k^2\right)\,\phi=\left[\frac{k_\rho^2}{4}J_{n-2}(k_\rho \rho)+\frac{k_\rho}{2\rho}J_{n-1}(k_\rho \rho)-\left(\frac{k_\rho^2}{2}+k_z^2+\frac{n^2}{\rho^2}\right)\,J_n(k_\rho \rho)-\frac{k_\rho}{2\rho}J_{n+1}(k_\rho \rho)-\frac{k_\rho^2}{4}J_{n+2}(k_\rho \rho)\right]\,e^{i\,(n \varphi+k_z z)}.[/tex]However, I don't know where to go from here.

If I do
    [tex]\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial\rho}=\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^m}{m!\,\int_0^{\infty} t^{m+n}\,e^{-t}\,dt}\left(\frac{k_\rho}{2}\right)^{2m+n}\,(2m+n)\,\rho^{2m+n-1}\,e^{i\,(n \varphi+k_z z)},[/tex]I get stuck as well.

How should I approach the problem of proving that the above function [itex]\phi(\vec{r})[/itex] is a solution to the wave equation in cylindrical coordinates?

Thanks! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2013 #2
    The solutions to the differential equation

[itex]x^2 \frac{d^2 y}{d x^2}+ x \frac{d y}{d x} + (x^2-n^2) y = 0 [/itex]

are [itex] J_n (x) [/itex] and [itex] Y_n (x) [/itex].

You can also rewrite the Bessel Differential Equation as

[itex] \frac{d^2 y}{d x^2}+ \frac{1}{x} \frac{d y}{d x} + (1-\frac{n^2}{x^2}) y = 0 [/itex].

Evaluate the derivatives of [itex] \phi [/itex] and [itex] z [/itex] first, then try and rewrite the resulting differential equation in [itex] r [/itex] in the above form.

4. Jun 23, 2013 #3
    Hey! Thanks for your help.

All right, I have
    [tex]\phi(\vec{r})=R(\rho)\,\Phi(\varphi)\,Z(z),[/tex]where
    [tex]R(\rho)=J_n(k_\rho\rho),[/tex][tex]\Phi(\varphi)=e^{in\varphi},[/tex][tex]Z(z)=e^{ik_zz}.[/tex]
    Therefore,
    [tex]\frac{1}{\rho^2}\frac{\partial^2\phi}{\partial\varphi^2}=-\frac{n^2}{\rho^2}\phi,[/tex][tex]\frac{\partial^2\phi}{\partial z^2}=-k_z^2\,\phi,[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial}{\partial\rho}\left(\rho\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial\rho}\right)=\frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial (k_\rho\rho)}{\partial\rho}\frac{\partial}{\partial(k_\rho\rho)} \left(\rho \frac{\partial(k_\rho\rho)}{\partial\rho}\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial(k_\rho\rho)}\right)=k_\rho^2\frac{\partial^2\phi}{\partial(k_\rho\rho)^2}+ \frac{k_\rho}{\rho} \frac{\partial\phi}{\partial(k_\rho\rho)}.[/tex]
    Putting all three together, I get
    [tex]\left[k_\rho^2\frac{d^2R}{d(k_\rho\rho)^2}+\frac{k_\rho}{\rho}\frac{dR}{d (k_\rho \rho)}\right]\,\Phi\,Z+R\frac{1}{\rho^2}\frac{d^2\Phi}{d\varphi^2}Z+R\,\Phi\frac{d^2Z}{dz^2}=\left[k_\rho^2\frac{d^2R}{d(k_\rho\rho)^2}+\frac{k_\rho}{\rho}\frac{dR}{d (k_\rho \rho)}\right]\,\Phi\,Z-\left[\frac{n^2}{\rho^2}+k_z^2\right]\,R\,\Phi\,Z=0.[/tex]
    Let [itex]x:=k_\rho\rho[/itex]. Since [itex]\Phi(\varphi)[/itex] and [itex]Z(z)[/itex] are never zero and [itex]k_\rho\neq0[/itex], I may divide everything by [itex]k_\rho^2\,\Phi\,Z[/itex]:
    [tex]\frac{d^2R}{dx^2}+\frac{1}{x}\frac{dR}{dx}-\left[\frac{n^2}{x^2}+\frac{k_z^2}{k_\rho^2}\right]\,R=0.[/tex]
    Comparing this with the equation you provided, [itex]R(x)=J_n(x)[/itex] only if [itex]k_z^2/k_\rho^2=-1[/itex], which is a really strange condition to impose on [itex]k[/itex] (recall that [itex]k^2=k_\rho^2+k_z^2[/itex]; if I impose [itex]k_z^2/k_\rho^2=-1[/itex], then [itex]k^2=k_\rho^2-k_\rho^2=0[/itex], which is surely very silly).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again.

5. Jun 23, 2013 #4
    You left out the [itex]k ^2 \phi[/itex] term in the equation
    [itex](\nabla ^2+k^2) \phi =0[/itex]

6. Jun 24, 2013 #5
    But of course!

So
    [tex]\left[k_\rho^2\frac{d^2R}{d(k_\rho\rho)^2}+\frac{k_\rho}{\rho}\frac{dR}{d (k_\rho \rho)}\right]\,\Phi\,Z-\left[\frac{n^2}{\rho^2}+k_z^2\right]\,R\,\Phi\,Z+\left(k_\rho^2+k_z^2\right)\,R\,\Phi\,Z=0;[/tex]dividing by [itex]k+\rho^2\,\Phi\,Z[/itex],
    [tex]\frac{d^2R}{dx^2}+\frac{1}{x}\frac{dR}{dx}-\left[\frac{n^2}{x^2}+\frac{k_z^2}{k_\rho^2}-\frac{k_\rho^2+k_z^2}{k_\rho^2}\right]\,R=\frac{d^2R}{dx^2}+\frac{1}{x}\frac{dR}{dx}+\left[1-\frac{n^2}{x^2}\right]\,R=0,[/tex]which is the Bessel differential equation.

I completely forgot about that [itex]k^2[/itex] in the original wave equation. Thanks for pointing it out!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook