Solve 2-D Motion Practice Homework: Truck & Watermelons

• Thread starter blackrose75
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a truck loaded with watermelons and a washed-out bridge. One melon rolls off the truck with an initial speed of 12.0 m/s and lands on a bank with a parabolic shape. The question is to find the x and y coordinates of the melon when it splatters on the bank. The attempted solution involves creating equations for the horizontal and vertical motion of the melon and finding the intersection with the parabolic bank, but it is not working. The student is seeking help with this problem.
blackrose75

Homework Statement

A truck loaded with cannonball watermelons stops suddenly to avoid running over the edge of a washed-out bridge (Fig. P4.64). The quick stop causes a number of melons to fly off the truck. One melon rolls over the edge with an initial speed vi = 12.0 m/s in the horizontal direction. A cross-section of the bank has the shape of the bottom half of a parabola with its vertex at the edge of the road, and with the equation y2 = 14x, where x and y are measured in meters. What are the x and y coordinates of the melon when it splatters on the bank?

2. The attempt at a solution

I've been attempting it by making a parabola equation out of 12t=x and -9.8(t)^2=y by solving for t and plugging it in so that y=-9.8(x/12)^2 and finding where it intersects with y^2=14x but it doesn't seem to work so perhapse I'm doing something wrong. Thanks though

Physics news on Phys.org
bump, I really need help on this for tomorrow please.

I would first commend the student for their attempt at solving the problem and using mathematical equations to approach the solution. However, it seems like there may be some errors in their calculations or approach. It would be helpful to double check the equations and make sure all units are consistent. Additionally, it may be helpful to draw a diagram or visualize the problem to better understand the motion of the watermelon and its trajectory. Another approach could be to use the equations of motion for projectile motion and solve for the time when the watermelon hits the bank. Overall, it is important to carefully analyze the problem and use the appropriate equations and units to arrive at the correct solution.

What is 2-D motion practice homework?

2-D motion practice homework is a type of assignment given to students in science or physics classes to practice applying concepts related to two-dimensional motion.

What is the purpose of the "Truck & Watermelons" homework?

The purpose of the "Truck & Watermelons" homework is to help students understand and apply concepts related to 2-D motion, such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration, in a real-world scenario.

What are some common challenges students face when solving this homework?

Some common challenges students face when solving "Truck & Watermelons" homework include understanding how to break down the problem into smaller parts, determining the appropriate equations to use, and correctly interpreting the given data.

How can I improve my skills in solving 2-D motion problems?

To improve your skills in solving 2-D motion problems, it is important to review and understand the relevant concepts and equations, practice with various types of problems, and seek help from your teacher or classmates if needed.

Are there any real-life applications for 2-D motion practice?

Yes, 2-D motion practice has many real-life applications, such as understanding the motion of objects in sports, predicting the trajectory of projectiles, and analyzing the movement of vehicles or other objects in traffic. These skills are also important in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.