Solve for Height of Cliff After Diver Jumps Off at 2.2m/s

  • Thread starter Thread starter atbruick
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
atbruick
Messages
20
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A diver running 2.2 m/s dives out horizontally from the edge of a vertical cliff and 2.5 s later reaches the water below. How high was the cliff?


Homework Equations


Y=Yo+Vyo*t-.5gt^2

I have Y as being 0 (the point when they hit the water) and velocity of y at time zero being 2.2 m/s.


The Attempt at a Solution


I used the equation above and substituted and got 0=y+(2.2)(2.5)-.5(9.8)(2.5^2) and got 25 for y, but my online homework says it's wrong. I've double checked and can't figure out where I went wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The diver has an initial speed of 2.2m/s in the horizontal direction. What is the diver's initial speed in the vertical direction?
 
zero, because they are not moving either up or down yet, thank you very much!