Solve for n: Get Answers & Verify Results

• Thread starter F.B
  • Start date
In summary, the manufacting company would be shutdown if 2 parts or more from the sample were outside the tolerance, however the probability is 0.492 that the line would be shut down.
F.B
There are no answers given for these questions because they are based on my entire book.

Can anyone verify my answer for this question.
Solve for n

1. P(n,3)=6P(n-1,3)

When i solve for n i get 3.6.

2.Determine the number of divisors for the number 3780, using the fact that a divisor of a number is the multiplication of one or more of the factors of the number.

I know this questions is really easy. I know i can easily just use my calculator and go through every single number but is there a shorter way of doing this.

3. A game is played by drawing cards from a deck that has all face cards including aces removed. The player draws a card and is paid the face value of the card in dollars. Each play costs $5.00. how much would you expect to win or lose if you played the game 20 times?

I have no idea how to do this one.

4. A manufacting company precut tubing for lawn chairs. Management has decided that they can accept 15% of their production outside specified tolerances. The floor manager samples 10 parts per hour from the production and stops the line if 2 parts or more from the sample are outside the tolerance.
a)If the actual defect rate is 16%, what is the probability that the line would be shutdown
b)For the same defect rate, what is the probability that the line would be shut down if the sample was increased to 20 parts but production was still stopped when 2 defects were found.

For a) i did
1-[P(X=0) + P(X=1)]
I don't have time to show my work but i used the binomial experiment formula and i get 0.492 as an answer i think that's a bit high.
But i don't even know what that 15% is for.

So can anyone please help with these questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
what do you mean by P
Do you mena permutation as in [tex] P(n,r) = \frac{n!}{(n-r)!} [/tex] in which case you are correct.

2) well i can't type it all here but i do it like this
3780 = 2 x 1890
1890 = 2 x 945
945 = 5 x 189
189 = 3 x 63
63 = 3 x 21
21 = 3 x 7
7 = 7 x 1
hope that helps

For P i do mean Permutation. But what about my other questions

1. What is "n" in the equation?

In mathematics, "n" is known as a variable, which represents an unknown value in an equation. It is often used to represent a number or quantity that can change.

2. How do I solve for "n" in an equation?

To solve for "n" in an equation, you must isolate it on one side of the equation by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. The goal is to get "n" by itself on one side of the equal sign, with all other numbers and variables on the other side.

3. Why is it important to verify the results when solving for "n"?

Verifying the results is important because it allows you to check whether your solution is correct and to avoid errors. This can be done by substituting the value of "n" back into the original equation and ensuring that both sides of the equation are equal.

4. Are there any special rules or techniques for solving for "n"?

Yes, there are several rules and techniques that can be applied when solving for "n" in an equation. Some common techniques include combining like terms, using the distributive property, and solving multi-step equations. It is important to follow the rules of algebra and to apply operations to both sides of the equation to maintain balance.

5. Can "n" have more than one solution?

Yes, "n" can have more than one solution in an equation. This is known as having multiple solutions or having infinitely many solutions. It means that there are multiple values of "n" that satisfy the given equation. This is often the case when solving equations with variables on both sides or when working with equations that have absolute value.