Solve Grad Shafranov Equation using Finite element method?

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding sources for computing flux surfaces using finite element methods, specifically in relation to the Grad-Shafranov equation. Some recommended sources include Gruber, Iacono, and Troyon Journal of Computational Physics 1987, K. Lackner Computer Physics Communications 12, 1976, J Blum, J Le Foll and B Thooris Computer Physics Communications 24, 1981, and J.L. Johnson Journal of Computational Physics 32, 1979. Stephen Jardin's book, Computational Methods in Plasma Physics, was also suggested. The_wolfman has experience with a spectral element code for solving the GS equation and is willing to answer any specific questions.
adwiteeymauri
I want to compute the flux surfaces using FEM but i haven't found any good source to read. any help will be appreciated.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you looking for references of finite elements? the Grad-Shafranov equation? or specifically using finite elements to solve the Grad-Shafranov equation?

I would suggest looking into:
Gruber, Iacono, and Troyon Journal of Computational Physics 1987
K. Lackner Computer Physics Communications 12, 1976
J Blum, J Le Foll and B Thooris Computer Physics Communications 24, 1981
J.L. Johnson Journal of Computational Physics 32, 1979

Some of these papers deal specifically with finite elements, others are review papers of numerical methods used to solve the Grad-Shafranov equation.

You might also look into Stephen Jardin's book: Computational Methods in Plasma Physics

I've written a spectral element code that solves the GS equation, and can probably answer any specific questions you have.

Thanks a lot the_wolfman to reply. I have found the exact thing your first reference this was what i was looking for... i will try that then will ask you again.thanks again :)

1. What is the Grad Shafranov equation and why is it important in physics?

The Grad Shafranov equation is a partial differential equation used to describe the equilibrium of a plasma in a magnetic field. It is important in physics because it helps us understand the behavior of plasma in fusion reactors, which is crucial for developing sustainable energy sources.

2. What is the Finite Element Method and how is it used to solve the Grad Shafranov equation?

The Finite Element Method is a numerical technique used to solve partial differential equations by dividing a complex problem into smaller, simpler elements. These elements are then solved individually and combined to find a solution for the entire problem. In the case of the Grad Shafranov equation, the magnetic field and plasma parameters are discretized and solved using the Finite Element Method.

3. What are the advantages of using the Finite Element Method to solve the Grad Shafranov equation?

The Finite Element Method allows for the solution of complex, non-linear equations with varying boundary conditions. It also allows for adaptability in the discretization, which is useful for solving problems with irregular geometry. Additionally, the Finite Element Method can handle different types of elements, making it a versatile approach for solving the Grad Shafranov equation.

4. What are the challenges in solving the Grad Shafranov equation using the Finite Element Method?

One of the main challenges in using the Finite Element Method to solve the Grad Shafranov equation is the large number of unknowns that need to be solved. This can result in long computing times and can be computationally expensive. Additionally, the choice of elements and discretization can greatly affect the accuracy of the solution, so careful consideration must be taken in selecting these parameters.

5. How can the results obtained from solving the Grad Shafranov equation using the Finite Element Method be validated?

There are several ways to validate the results obtained from solving the Grad Shafranov equation using the Finite Element Method. One method is to compare the results with experimental data or other analytical solutions. Another way is to perform convergence studies, where the solution is refined and compared to a known analytical solution to ensure accuracy. Sensitivity studies can also be done to test the robustness of the solution to changes in the input parameters.