Finite-element solution of Sturm-Liouville problem

In summary, the conversation is asking for a simple introduction to using finite-element methods to solve eigenvalue and eigenfunction problems in a Sturm-Liouville context. The speaker mentions that they have seen suggestions that this is now the dominant method, but has not been able to find a clear explanation with examples. Another person suggests checking an article in Volume 2 of the Handbook of Numerical Analysis, written by I. Babuška and J. Osborn, for information on eigenvalue problems, though it may not be a simple introduction. The speaker plans to check if the library has access to this resource.
leon_avery
Can someone point me to a simple introduction to the use of finite-element methods to find eigenvalues and eigenfunctions for a Sturm-Liouville problem? In my searching I've seen various suggestions that this is now the dominant method, but I've had no luck in finding an actual explanation, with examples.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I'll check whether our library has that.

1. What is a Sturm-Liouville problem?

A Sturm-Liouville problem is a type of boundary value problem in differential equations that involves finding a function that satisfies a given differential equation and boundary conditions. These problems are commonly used in physics and engineering for modeling various physical phenomena.

2. What is the finite-element method for solving Sturm-Liouville problems?

The finite-element method is a numerical technique for solving differential equations by dividing a continuous problem into smaller, simpler sub-problems. In the context of Sturm-Liouville problems, the domain is divided into smaller elements and the differential equation is solved for each element. These solutions are then combined to approximate the solution to the entire problem.

3. What are the advantages of using finite-element method for Sturm-Liouville problems?

One of the main advantages of using the finite-element method for solving Sturm-Liouville problems is its ability to handle complex geometries and boundary conditions. It also provides a more accurate solution compared to other numerical methods, as it can handle non-uniform meshes and refine the mesh in areas where the solution varies rapidly.

4. What are the limitations of using finite-element method for Sturm-Liouville problems?

One limitation of the finite-element method for solving Sturm-Liouville problems is that it can be computationally expensive for problems with large numbers of elements. It also requires careful consideration and expertise in choosing the appropriate mesh and basis functions for the problem in order to obtain accurate results.

5. What are some applications of finite-element solution of Sturm-Liouville problems?

The finite-element solution of Sturm-Liouville problems has a wide range of applications in various fields such as structural engineering, fluid mechanics, electromagnetics, and heat transfer. It is used to model and understand complex physical phenomena, design and optimize engineering systems, and analyze the behavior of structures and materials under different conditions.