Solve using Undetermined Coefficients

In summary, the Undetermined Coefficients method is a technique for solving non-homogeneous linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It involves guessing the form of the particular solution and solving for the unknown coefficients. This method can only be used for certain types of differential equations and has limitations such as being time-consuming and requiring multiple guesses.
VitaX
[itex]y''(t) - \frac{2}{t^2}y(t) = 3 - \frac{1}{t^2}[/itex]

In this problem I had to solve two ways: Variation of Parameters and Undetermined Coefficients. I solved it using Variation of Parameters and got the correct answer for the particular solution in the back of the book being [itex]y_p(t) = t^2ln|t| + \frac{1}{2}[/itex]

I can't seem to get the same answer when I'm solving using Undetermined Coefficients. I let my assumption be [itex]y_p(t) = At^2 + Bt + C[/itex] but I only end up with [itex]C=\frac{1}{2}[/itex] while [itex]A=0[/itex] and [itex]B=0[/itex] when I go back and substitute into the original to find their values. What am I doing wrong here? Is my assumption incorrect? I somehow have to get a [itex]ln|t|[/itex] to match up with a [itex]t^2[/itex] as an A value then I should be able to get the same particular solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
VitaX said:
[itex]y''(t) - \frac{2}{t^2}y(t) = 3 - \frac{1}{t^2}[/itex]

In this problem I had to solve two ways: Variation of Parameters and Undetermined Coefficients. I solved it using Variation of Parameters and got the correct answer for the particular solution in the back of the book being [itex]y_p(t) = t^2ln|t| + \frac{1}{2}[/itex]

I can't seem to get the same answer when I'm solving using Undetermined Coefficients. I let my assumption be [itex]y_p(t) = At^2 + Bt + C[/itex] but I only end up with [itex]C=\frac{1}{2}[/itex] while [itex]A=0[/itex] and [itex]B=0[/itex] when I go back and substitute into the original to find their values. What am I doing wrong here? Is my assumption incorrect? I somehow have to get a [itex]ln|t|[/itex] to match up with a [itex]t^2[/itex] as an A value then I should be able to get the same particular solution.

If you multiply that equation through by t2 you get
[tex]t^2y''(t) - y(t) = 3t^2 - 1[/tex]

It isn't a constant coefficient equation for which you would use undetermined coefficients. One way of working it is to look for a solution in the form y = tr to get a characteristic equation. Alternatively you can change the variable from t to x by x = ln(t) to make a constant coefficient DE out of it. This type of equation is called an Euler equation. Surely your text has something about these.

LCKurtz said:
If you multiply that equation through by t2 you get
[tex]t^2y''(t) - y(t) = 3t^2 - 1[/tex]

It isn't a constant coefficient equation for which you would use undetermined coefficients. One way of working it is to look for a solution in the form y = tr to get a characteristic equation. Alternatively you can change the variable from t to x by x = ln(t) to make a constant coefficient DE out of it. This type of equation is called an Euler equation. Surely your text has something about these.

Yeah it does, I think I just misheard the teacher in him saying use undetermined coefficients when I think he meant use 2 methods of variation of parameters to get the particular solution. At least I hope he said that as that's what I did.

Undetermined coefficients works fine with variable coefficients, it is just harder to guess the form, and you guessed wrong. A better guess would be

[itex]y_p(t) = At^2 \log(t) + Bt + C[/itex]

If it is hard to guess the form undetermined coefficients becomes a hard to use method.

Treating it as an Euler equation would be better. Or maybe try a series solution.

1. What is the concept of "Undetermined Coefficients"?

Undetermined coefficients is a method used to solve non-homogeneous linear differential equations. It involves finding a particular solution to the equation by guessing the form of the solution and then solving for the unknown coefficients.

2. When is the "Undetermined Coefficients" method used?

This method is used when solving non-homogeneous linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It is also used when the non-homogeneous term is a polynomial, exponential, or trigonometric function.

3. How do you choose the "undetermined coefficients" when solving an equation?

The undetermined coefficients are chosen by examining the non-homogeneous term and guessing a form for the particular solution. For example, if the non-homogeneous term is a polynomial of degree n, the particular solution will be of the form An^n + Bn^(n-1) + ... + C, where A, B, C, etc. are the undetermined coefficients.

4. Can the "Undetermined Coefficients" method be used for all differential equations?

No, this method can only be used for non-homogeneous linear differential equations with constant coefficients. For other types of differential equations, different methods such as variation of parameters or Laplace transforms may be used.

5. What are the limitations of the "Undetermined Coefficients" method?

The main limitation of this method is that it can only be applied to linear equations with constant coefficients. Additionally, it may not work for all types of non-homogeneous terms, and the process of choosing the undetermined coefficients can be time-consuming and require multiple guesses.