Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is It Possible to Use the Method of Undetermined Coefficients Here?

1. Jul 13, 2014 #1
    I'm doing a practice problem I found online, and I get a solution, but I think it should have a sine term in it. I looked up the solution, and most sites say to use variation of parameters, but is it possible to use the method of undetermined coefficients?

The problem is as follows: y'' + 4y = 8cos2t

r^2 + 4 = 0 ----> r^2 = -4 -----> r = +/- 2i

yh = c1*sin2t + c2*cos2t

Particular solution has form At*sin2t + Bt*cos2t (because you add a "t" to both terms so they don't clash with the cos2t or sin2t terms)

First derivative is -2At*sin2t + A*cos2t + 2Bt*cos2t + B*sin2t

Second derivative is -4At*cos2t - 2A*sin2t - 2A*sin2t - 4Bt*sin2t + 2B*cos2t + 2B*cos2t

So then you add that term to the particular solution and get:

-4At*cos2t - 2A*sin2t - 2A*sin2t - 4Bt*sin2t + 2B*cos2t + 2B*cos2t + 4At*sin2t + 4Bt*cos2t

Canceling out terms leaves you with -2A*sin2t - 2A*sin2t + 2B*cos2t + 2B*cos2t = 8*cos2t.

Now the problem is that 8*cos2t is really 8*cos2t + 0*sin2t. Solving for B gives you B = 2, but that means A = 0. But the final solution should have a sine term in it. (And I looked up the solutions, and they do have a sine term)

I thought you could use the Method of Undetermined Coefficients when you were dealing with a sine/cosine function, a regular polynomial, or an exponential function. (I think the fourth one was a function of e^t. I forget off the top of my head.)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

You are inconsistent in your definitions of [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex]. You start by defining
    [tex]
    y(t) = At\sin(2t) + Bt\cos(2t)
    [/tex] but in computing the derivatives you somehow switched to [tex]
    y(t) = At\cos(2t) + Bt\sin(2t).[/tex]
    Thus when you substituted these into the ODE you obtained
    where you failed to notice that the terms I've bolded don't actually cancel.

But continuing on, you find that [itex]B = 2[/itex]. Because you flipped the definitions of [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] halfway through, this is actually telling you that [itex]y(t) = 2t\sin(2t)[/itex], which is correct.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook