Solving a Fraction: Calculate Velocity of an Orbit

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter James Brady
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fraction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
James Brady
Messages
106
Reaction score
4
I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the velocity of an orbit at apogee or perigee and I've figured out the derivation of the equation except for this one fraction... I replaced the radius quantities for x and y for ease of viewing.

[itex]\frac{x-y}{x^2 - y^2} = \frac{1}{x + y}[/itex]

Can anybody break this down for me barney-style?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
James Brady said:
I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the velocity of an orbit at apogee or perigee and I've figured out the derivation of the equation except for this one fraction... I replaced the radius quantities for x and y for ease of viewing.

[itex]\frac{x-y}{x^2 - y^2} = \frac{1}{x + y}[/itex]

Can anybody break this down for me barney-style?

Express the $$x^2-y^2$$ as the difference of 2 squares.

Then it will cancel to give the right hand fraction.
 
As long as x- y is not equal to 0, [itex](x^2- y^2)/(x- y)= (x- y)(x+ y)/(x- y)= x+ y[/itex].