Solving a Linear Combination Problem

guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement:
Determine whether b can be written as a linear combination of and . In other words, determine whether weights x1 and x2 exist, such that . Determine the weights and if possible
Relevant Equations:
x1a1+x2a2=b
I have attached my work to this thread.

Could someone help me with this Linear Algebra problem. This is my first week so I do not know many advanced ways to solve these problems.

I could not figure out how to get this matrix into rref, so I solved it the following way. Is the way I used appropriate? Is it possible to get this in rref? I am breaking my head trying to think of how I can get it to that form.

Attachments

• LIN ALG.jpeg.pdf
    553.4 KB · Views: 73

Answers and Replies

FactChecker
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I'm not sure what other method you are trying to use for a solution. What you did is a very standard way of solving that problem. I agree with your work.

Likes guyvsdcsniper
Steve4Physics
Homework Helper
Gold Member
2022 Award
Homework Statement:: Determine whether b can be written as a linear combination of and . In other words, determine whether weights x1 and x2 exist, such that . Determine the weights and if possible
Relevant Equations:: x1a1+x2a2=b

I have attached my work to this thread.

Could someone help me with this Linear Algebra problem. This is my first week so I do not know many advanced ways to solve these problems.

I could not figure out how to get this matrix into rref, so I solved it the following way. Is the way I used appropriate? Is it possible to get this in rref? I am breaking my head trying to think of how I can get it to that form.
If you want a method in terms of row operations, mayabe this video will help (about 10 mins):

Likes guyvsdcsniper and FactChecker

Suggested for: Solving a Linear Combination Problem

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies