I Solving a nonlinear first order differential equation

Chromatic_Universe

Gold Member
(a'[t]/a[t])^2 == K*(A + B*a[t]^-6)^1/2} is the equation to be solved for getting the solution of a(t) in terms of time(t). Any ideas on how to solve this problem? Use of Matlab or Mathematica is accepted.

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Are you after an analytic or a numerical solution? The numerical solution should be rather straight-forward in both Matlab and Mathematica. Just insert the differential equation along with your initial conditions into the appropriate differential equation solver.

Chromatic_Universe

Gold Member
Are you after an analytic or a numerical solution? The numerical solution should be rather straight-forward in both Matlab and Mathematica. Just insert the differential equation along with your initial conditions into the appropriate differential equation solver.
I am looking for an analytical solution. Sorry for missing that out.

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Your differential equation is separable. You could just solve for ##dt## in terms of ##da## and ##a## and integrate. However, doing so will likely result in a hypergeometric function.

Chromatic_Universe

Gold Member
Your differential equation is separable. You could just solve for ##dt## in terms of ##da## and ##a## and integrate. However, doing so will likely result in a hypergeometric function.
I do get a Hypergeometric solution while solving in Mathematica, but is there any physical implication of this solution?

phyzguy

Science Advisor
I do get a Hypergeometric solution while solving in Mathematica, but is there any physical implication of this solution?
Since we don't know what a(t) represents, how could we know the physical implications?

Chromatic_Universe

Gold Member

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Well, yes, the scale factor’s behaviour with time gives you some physical information. It is usually easier to consider the behaviour of the derivatives if you want to know how your spacetime behaves.

Chromatic_Universe

Gold Member
Well, yes, the scale factor’s behaviour with time gives you some physical information. It is usually easier to consider the behaviour of the derivatives if you want to know how your spacetime behaves.
I was thinking what is physically implicated by the hypergeometric behaviour of the a(t).