Solving a Problem: What Went Wrong & Velocity for Both Masses

• Thread starter Mohmmad Maaitah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the examiner provided a solution that switched the masses, but your work was correct. You also asked if the velocity is the same for both masses, and the answer is yes since they are connected. However, they move in different directions.
Mohmmad Maaitah
Homework Statement
As in the first provided picture:
Relevant Equations
Newton second law
This is the problem:
1683368077531.png

And this the answer provided by the examiner:
1683367960587.png

And this is my own answer:
IMG_20230506_130351_883.jpg

So what did I get wrong???
Also I want to know if the Velocity is the same for both masses.

Attachments

• IMG_20230506_130351_883.jpg
    IMG_20230506_130351_883.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 1683367838828.png
    1683367838828.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 1683367894227.png
    1683367894227.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 51
Physics news on Phys.org
Mohmmad Maaitah said:
So what did I get wrong???
The diagram shows m_1 as the hanging mass, but the given solution switches that. Your work is fine.
Mohmmad Maaitah said:
Also I want to know if the Velocity is the same for both masses.
Sure---they are connected. (The speeds are the same, but they move in different directions, of course.)

Likes Chestermiller and Mohmmad Maaitah
Doc Al said:
The diagram shows m_1 as the hanging mass, but the given solution switches that. Your work is fine.

Sure---they are connected. (The speeds are the same, but they move in different directions, of course.)
Oh lord, he switched the masses :doh:

1. What is the first step in solving a problem?

The first step in solving a problem is to identify and understand the problem. This involves gathering all relevant information, defining the problem clearly, and determining the desired outcome.

2. How do I determine what went wrong in a problem?

To determine what went wrong in a problem, you should analyze the steps you took and compare them to the desired outcome. Look for any errors or mistakes that may have occurred and try to identify the root cause of the problem.

3. What is velocity and why is it important in problem solving?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. In problem solving, velocity helps us understand the speed and direction of movement towards a solution. It is important because it allows us to track progress and make adjustments if necessary.

4. How do I calculate velocity for both masses in a problem?

To calculate velocity for both masses in a problem, you will need to know the mass, acceleration, and time for each object. Use the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. Repeat this calculation for each mass to determine their respective velocities.

5. What should I do if I am stuck in solving a problem?

If you are stuck in solving a problem, try taking a step back and looking at the problem from a different perspective. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts or seeking help from others. Don't be afraid to try different approaches and be patient with the problem-solving process.