Solving an Irregular Clock: No Continuous 576 Minutes

In summary, the clock can run irregularly such that there is no continuous 576 minutes during which the clock shows that 576 minutes have passed.
Jenny Physics

Homework Statement

A clock runs irregularly but after 24 hours it has neither gained nor lost overall.
Find a way the clock can run irregularly such that there is no continuous 576 minutes during which the clock shows that 576 minutes have passed.

Homework Equations

24 hours = 1440 minutes and ##576=\frac{2}{5}1440##.

The Attempt at a Solution

The likely idea is to divide the 24 hours/1440 minutes in a number of intervals and have the clock run faster in odd intervals (say running one hour in 30 minutes), then slower in even intervals (say running one hour in 90 minutes) so that overall it still runs 1440 minutes. I can't get the numbers to work though for 576 minutes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jenny Physics said:

Homework Statement

A clock runs irregularly but after 24 hours it has neither gained nor lost overall.
Find a way the clock can run irregularly such that there is no continuous 576 minutes during which the clock shows that 576 minutes have passed.

Homework Equations

24 hours = 1440 minutes and ##576=\frac{2}{5}1440##.

The Attempt at a Solution

The likely idea is to divide the 24 hours/1440 minutes in a number of intervals and have the clock run faster in odd intervals (say running one hour in 30 minutes), then slower in even intervals (say running one hour in 90 minutes) so that overall it still runs 1440 minutes. I can't get the numbers to work though for 576 minutes.

Think about functions.

Likes Jenny Physics
PeroK said:
Think about functions.
You mean think about a specific function?

Jenny Physics said:
You mean think about a specific function?

Not a specific function, but what the graph would look like if you plotted time against time shown on the clock.

Likes Jenny Physics
PeroK said:
Not a specific function, but what the graph would look like if you plotted time against time shown on the clock.
I can imagine all sorts of such functions (sinusoidal, triangular) but not how to go about such that there are no continuous 576 minutes.

Jenny Physics said:
I can imagine all sorts of such functions (sinusoidal, triangular) but not how to go about such that there are no continuous 576 minutes.

To keep things simple I would assume the clock can't go backwards. Then the time shown against time is an increasing function.

Have you been studying the intermediate value theorem?

I'm signing off now. Merry Xmas!

Likes SammyS and Jenny Physics
Assuming you need to stick to a 24hr period (i.e., no modular aritmetic), notice 1440/576 =25, which is odd, so we could combine increments/changes to cancel each other out...

Likes Jenny Physics

1. How does an irregular clock with no continuous 576 minutes work?

An irregular clock with no continuous 576 minutes works by dividing the 24-hour day into 576 equal parts, each lasting approximately 2.5 minutes. This means that each hour on the clock is divided into 24 segments, with each segment representing 2.5 minutes.

2. How do you read the time on an irregular clock with no continuous 576 minutes?

The time on an irregular clock with no continuous 576 minutes is read by counting the number of segments that have passed since the start of the day. For example, if 72 segments have passed, then the time would be 2:00 am.

3. Why is an irregular clock with no continuous 576 minutes used?

An irregular clock with no continuous 576 minutes is used to help people better understand and visualize the concept of time. It allows for more precise measurements and can be useful in scientific experiments or for time-sensitive tasks.

4. Can an irregular clock with no continuous 576 minutes be converted to a standard 12-hour or 24-hour clock?

Yes, it is possible to convert an irregular clock with no continuous 576 minutes to a standard 12-hour or 24-hour clock. This can be done by dividing the total number of segments by 24 to determine the number of hours, and then using traditional time-telling methods to determine the minutes.

5. Are there any other examples of irregular clocks with non-continuous time intervals?

Yes, there are other examples of irregular clocks with non-continuous time intervals, such as the decimal time system, which divides the day into 10 hours, each lasting 100 minutes. There are also other experimental time systems that have been proposed but are not widely used.