Solving Matrix Multiplication: A*B^T with A=2,1;5,3 and B=1,-1,1;-1,1,1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
lagwagon555
Messages
59
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Find A*B^T, where A=

2 1
5 3

And B=

1 -1 1
-1 1 1


Homework Equations



n/a



The Attempt at a Solution



The problem is, is that if I get the transpose of B, I will end up with a 3x2 matrix. Isn't this impossible to multiply by a 2x2 matrix? Maybe the answers is just 'not possible', but I have a feeling I'm doing something wrong. Anybody got any pointers? Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are right, A*BT can't be computed. (AB)T can though, are you sure you weren't supposed to calculate that?
 
The way it was actually written was BTA, so I think it made a point of showing that it wasn't (AB)T. So I'm thinking that the answer is that it can't be computed? Thanks for the quick reply!

EDIT: ooooooooooh. Ooops. How embarassing. Of course it makes a difference when B comes first. Argh!