Solving Rotational Motion: Min Force Required for Incline of 30 Degrees

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
NoBodyKnows
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Having a problem figuring this out; it appears extremely easy but I would understand if rotational motion comes into play. I'm just not sure where.

A cylinder of mass 2kg is rolled up an incline by means of a string arranged as shown in the figure. (incline with angle theta and a cylinder being rolled up with a string designating tention) What is the minimum force T required given that the angle of the incline to the horizontal is 30 degrees?

I break it into components (up the ramp and into the ramp are negative) and can say Fx = sin(theta)mg - T = -max

cheers.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you are pulling the cylinder using a string how can the cylinder rotate?
 
If you know then why do you mention rotation motion? How is the question made any simpler if rotation comes into play? What do you mean "I'm just not sure where." ?