Solving sen(2x)·sen(x) = sen(4x)·sen(3x) using product-to-sum identities

  • Thread starter Thread starter scientifico
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
scientifico
Messages
181
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


sen(2x) * sen(x) = sen(4x) * sen(3x)

The Attempt at a Solution


I applied product to sum and sum to product identities and now I get cos(3x)=cos(7x ) how can I solve it?

thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi scientifico! :smile:
scientifico said:
I applied product to sum and sum to product identities and now I get cos(3x)=cos(7x)

yup! :smile:

so 3x = ±7x + … ? :wink:

(alternatively, use the formula for cosA - cosB)
 
tiny-tim said:
so 3x = ±7x + … ? :wink:
What is this?
 
draw the graph of cosθ …

what has to be the relation between θ1 and θ2 if cosθ1 = cosθ2 ? :wink:
 
yes, but what are all the other solutions?

(and have you drawn a graph of cosθ ?)
 
If cos(3x) = cos(7x), then you have cos(7x) - cos(3x) = 0 .

Use the sum to product identities to change this to the product of two sines .

[itex]\displaystyle \cos \theta - \cos \varphi = -2\sin\left( {\theta + \varphi \over 2}\right) \sin\left({\theta - \varphi \over 2}\right)[/itex]

It's almost always easier to solve an equation with product that equals zero than one with a sum/difference that equals zero.