Solving SUVAT Questions: Find Time for a Ball's Descent

  • Thread starter Thread starter jendrix
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Suvat Time
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
jendrix
Messages
120
Reaction score
4
Hi, I'm just practicing some SUVAT style questions as part of my revision and have a quick question.

Here's an example, a ball is catapulted vertically upwards at 10m/s, find the time it takes to hit the ground.(Discount air resistance)

I used S =0 U=10 m/s V=? A=-9.8 T=?

Using v =u +at gave me a time of 1.02s however this is wrong.

Is this because I've done this as one motion? Should I split it into to, ie find highest position then journey back down?

Thanks

Just to reiterate this isn't a homework question.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The ball goes up and the ball returns to the ground. So double the time it takes to attain a velocity of 10 m/sec if dropped.

Or solve the following:

d = Vo*t + .5 * a * t^2

where d=0.0, Vo=10. m/sec, and a = -9.81 m/sec^2
 
jendrix said:
I used S =0 U=10 m/s V=? A=-9.8 T=?

Using v =u +at gave me a time of 1.02s however this is wrong.

What is value of V?