Solving the Radius of a Collapsing Star in Schwarzschild Geometry

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
latentcorpse
Messages
1,411
Reaction score
0
I have that [itex]\left( \frac{dR}{d \tau} \right)^2 = ( 1 - \epsilon)^2 ( \frac{R_{\text{max}}}{R}-1)[/itex] describes the radius of the surface of a collapsing star in Schwarzschild geometry. I need to show it falls to R=0 in time [itex]\tau = \frac{\pi M}{(1-\epsilon)^{3/2}}[/itex]

So far I have rearranged to get
[itex]\int_{R_{\text{max}}}^0 \sqrt{\frac{R}{R_{\text{max}}-R}} dR = \int_0^\tau (1-\epsilon^2)^{1/2} = (1-\epsilon^2)^{1/2} \tau[/itex]

How do I do that R integral though?

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi latentcorpse! :smile:

that π in the answer suggests you should go for a trig substitution :wink:
 
tiny-tim said:
hi latentcorpse! :smile:

that π in the answer suggests you should go for a trig substitution :wink:

I forgot to mention that [itex]R_{\text{max}}=\frac{2M}{1-\epsilon^2}[/itex]

Making the substitution [itex]R=R_{max} \sin^2{\theta}[/itex]

I get [itex]\int_{\pi/2}^0 2 R_{max} \sin^2{\theta} d \theta = - R_{max} \frac{\pi}{2} = - \frac{M \pi}{(1-\epsilon^2)}[/itex]

equating to [itex](1-\epsilon^2)^{1/2}\tau[/itex]

we get [itex]\tau=-\frac{\pi M}{(1-\epsilon)^{3/2}}[/itex]

i.e. an extra minus sign. and it can't take a negative amount of time for a star surface to collapse to r=0, i have messed up a sign. i think the limits on my integrals are sound but could you check please?

thanks.
 
You have to choose the sign when taking the square root to agree with [tex]dR/d\tau<0[/tex].