Solving the Wave Equation: Finding $u(x,t)$

In summary, the conversation is about a system of partial differential equations and finding the sets where the solution is positive, negative, or zero. The speaker presents their thoughts and solution, which the other person agrees is correct.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

Let $$u_{tt}-c^2 u_{xx}=0, x \in \mathbb{R}, t>0 \\ u(x,0)=0, u_t(x,0)=g(x)$$
where $g \in C^1(\mathbb{R})$ with $g(x)>0$ for $x \in (0,1)$, $g(x)=0$ for $x \geq 1$ and $g(x)=-g(-x)$ for $x \leq 0$. I want to find the sets of $\{ (x,t): x \in \mathbb{R}, t \geq 0 \}$ where $u=0, u<0$ and $u>0$.

I have thought the following.

We have that $u(x,t)=\frac{\phi(x+ct)+ \phi(x-ct)}{2}+ \frac{1}{2c} \int_{x-ct}^{x+ct} \psi(\zeta) d{\zeta}$

where $u(x,0)=\phi(x)$ and $u_t(x,0)=\psi(x)$.

So in our case, $\phi(x)=0$ and $\psi(x)=g(x)$.

So we have that $u(x,t)= \frac{1}{2c} \int_{x-ct}^{x+ct} \psi(\zeta) d{\zeta}$.

We have that $u>0$ when $x-ct \in (0,1)$ and $x+ ct \in (0,+\infty)$, $u=0$ when ( $x+ct \geq 1$ and $x-ct \geq 1)$ or $(x+ct \leq -1$ and $x-ct \leq -1)$ , and $u<0$ when $x+ct \in (-1,0)$ and $x-ct \in (-\infty,0)$ .Am I right? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey evinda! (Smile)

It looks correct to me.

I like Serena said:
Hey evinda! (Smile)

It looks correct to me.

Great... Thank you! (Smirk)

1. What is the wave equation and how does it relate to solving for u(x,t)?

The wave equation is a partial differential equation that describes how waves propagate through a medium. It relates to solving for u(x,t) because u(x,t) represents the displacement of the wave at a particular point (x) and time (t).

2. What are the initial and boundary conditions for solving the wave equation?

The initial conditions for solving the wave equation are the initial displacement and velocity of the wave. The boundary conditions are the constraints on the wave at the edges of the medium, such as fixed or free endpoints.

3. What are the steps involved in solving the wave equation?

The first step is to determine the initial and boundary conditions. Then, the wave equation is used to derive a general solution. Next, the specific solution is found by applying the initial and boundary conditions. Finally, the solution is verified through simulation or experimentation.

4. What are the limitations of solving the wave equation?

The wave equation assumes a linear and homogeneous medium, which may not accurately represent real-world scenarios. It also neglects factors such as damping, dispersion, and non-uniformity of the medium. Additionally, it is only applicable to certain types of waves, such as acoustic or electromagnetic waves.

5. How is the solution for u(x,t) affected by changes in the initial or boundary conditions?

The solution for u(x,t) is highly dependent on the initial and boundary conditions. Small changes in these conditions can result in significantly different solutions. For example, a small change in the initial displacement or velocity can cause a drastically different wave pattern.