Some moments about moderation :)

• Thread starter Z0dCHiY8
  • Start date
In summary: Your failure to understand the argument is not the same as a lack of argument. Do you know why spin is so important in baseball pitches? If so, then why did you propose so many methods that do not provide spin?Your failure to understand the argument is not the same as a lack of argument. Do you know why spin is so important in baseball pitches? If so, then why did you propose so many methods that do not provide spin?unfortunately, the're no guaranty for fair discussion.
Z0dCHiY8
Actually, it's good standard, if moderators don't involve into discussion. Because they have used their admin resource to substitute the lack of arguments. If PF will not address this issue, it will slide into small community w/ small (to zero) donations as well. my Best Regards.

• Skeptical
Likes Wrichik Basu and weirdoguy
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, your post does not parse very well. Can you please be more specific? Thanks.

Z0dCHiY8 said:
Because they have used their admin resource to substitute the lack of arguments...
Can you provide some specific examples? Without these, we won’t know what it is that you see us doing wrong.

If you feel that some particular action by an individual mentor was wrong, the forum rules do allow for appeals. Click the “report” button under the private message you received and say why you’re appealing; this puts it before all the mentors for further consideration.

It is usually preferable if participating in a discussion and moderation are done by different people, but for uncontroversial actions this is not needed.

Likes BillTre
Z0dCHiY8 said:
Actually, it's good standard, if moderators don't involve into discussion. Because they have used their admin resource to substitute the lack of arguments. If PF will not address this issue, it will slide into small community w/ small (to zero) donations as well. my Best Regards.
Moderating and Contributing in a discussion are not guaranteed to be a conflict.

Z0dCHiY8 said:
Because they have used their admin resource to substitute the lack of arguments.
Your failure to understand the argument is not the same as a lack of argument. Do you know why spin is so important in baseball pitches? If so, then why did you propose so many methods that do not provide spin?

• Informative
Likes BillTre, weirdoguy and phinds
Z0dCHiY8 said:
If PF will not address this issue, it will slide into small community w/ small (to zero) donations as well.

This is just ridiculous...

Likes Dale, BillTre, Wrichik Basu and 1 other person
Dale said:
Your failure to understand the argument is not the same as a lack of argument. Do you know why spin is so important in baseball pitches? If so, then why did you propose so many methods that do not provide spin?
just one wheel ain't provide very much for spin..

this one is just kicking w/ random spin + most of that spin gets damped by machine itself..

this one is really good. seems it's most efficient design.
symbolipoint said:
Moderating and Contributing in a discussion are not guaranteed to be a conflict.
unfortunately, the're no guaranty for fair discussion.

P.S. yet another moment has been controversial topics https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-about-bombing-versus-wildfires.976758/

i clearly understand it's highly disputable topic, but just kill it like that.. i even don't want to say about unfairness == large problems need to have open discussion to search solutions, otherwise no solution is possible.

• Sad
Likes weirdoguy
Z0dCHiY8 said:
i clearly understand it's highly disputable topic, but just kill it like that
The topic isn't killed, just your participation. As a moderator who was not involved in the discussion I can tell you that I have no disagreement with my colleague in his actions there. Although you appear to be aware of the issue of spin now, you gave no indication of that in the thread and you did not engage with the other participants on that issue. You seemed more interested in simply hijacking the thread than in responding to the substantive issues brought up by others or in specifically addressing the OP's question.

One of the main purposes of a thread is to help answer the question of the OP. You seemed more interested in what you were writing than in helping the OP. Your comments would not have been inappropriate in a thread that you started for that purpose, but in that thread they were a "hijack". You forced the moderator to choose either to continue to indulge you or to attempt to help the OP. He correctly chose to help the OP.

Frankly, your assessment that the moderator was out of line is wrong. This was a good example of moderation done correctly. You were given several opportunities to join a conversation that would be useful to the OP, and when you did not choose to do so you were prevented from further hijacking the thread. This is exactly the optimal outcome for the OP. Although you complain here about "fairness" do you really think that it is fair to the OP for you to come into his thread and take it off topic? How is that fair? Or do you believe that everyone on the forum exists to serve you and that the OP's needs are secondary to your whims?

On the other hand, at some point if you post a topic and someone else comes and tries to derail the conversation, then we will look out for your needs too and if you report the derailment we will intervene.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970, PeterDonis, davenn and 9 others
Dale said:
Although you appear to be aware of the issue of spin now, you gave no indication of that in the thread and you did not engage with the other participants on that issue.
actually, i hadn't been having a chance to explain my point, just was blocked from that thread :) and, actually, discussion went too South on 4th post.. OP just asked..
The wheel itself is quite large (30cm), and makes for a relatively immobile machine. I was wondering whether I could reduce the size of this wheel and was wondering how this would affect the performance.
3rd post (from me) just pinpointed..
learn www.google.ru/search?q=angular+speed Another way is to make pneumatic gun.

P.S. random spin can be generated by many ways == in fact, much more hard problem is to cast ball w/ zero spin.

Z0dCHiY8 said:
i hadn't been having a chance to explain my point, just was blocked from that thread
Nonsense. In fact you had four chances. In none of which you addressed the actual question from the OP.

To all participants: This sub forum is for discussion of feedback and moderation. Technical discussions are off topic here. Further technical discussions here will be deleted.

Last edited:
Dale said:
This sub forum is for discussion of feedback and moderation. Technical discussions are off topic here
unfortunately, technical details's been related to "feedback & moderation".. anyway, I'm done == Internet has a lot of space. my Best Regards :)

• Haha
Likes weirdoguy
Z0dCHiY8 said:
Dale said:
Nonsense. In fact you had four chances. In none of which you addressed the actual question from the OP.

To all participants: This sub forum is for discussion of feedback and moderation. Technical discussions are off topic here. Further technical discussions here will be deleted.
Z0dCHiY8 said:
unfortunately, technical details's been related to "feedback & moderation".. anyway, I'm done == Internet has a lot of space. my Best Regards :)
If the originating topic is still open, maybe resUme orderly comments and questions THERE, and not here.

symbolipoint said:
If the originating topic is still open, maybe resUme orderly comments and questions THERE, and not here.
funny part == I've been still blocked out there :)

And what did you expect? You've been thread banned for a reason (very clear and reasonable reason), why would anyone cancel this?

Likes berkeman and Vanadium 50

1. What is moderation?

Moderation refers to the act of keeping something within reasonable limits or avoiding extremes. In the context of behavior or communication, it involves using self-control and making thoughtful decisions.

2. Why is moderation important?

Moderation is important because it helps maintain balance and harmony in various aspects of life. It can prevent excessive or harmful behaviors, promote healthy habits, and improve relationships with others.

3. How can one practice moderation?

Practicing moderation involves being aware of one's actions and making intentional choices. This can include setting limits, avoiding overindulgence, and finding a healthy balance between different aspects of life.

4. What are the benefits of moderation?

The benefits of moderation include improved physical and mental health, better decision-making, and stronger relationships. It can also lead to a more fulfilling and enjoyable life by avoiding burnout and excess stress.

5. Are there any downsides to moderation?

While moderation is generally beneficial, it is possible to take it to an extreme and become too restrictive or self-critical. It's important to find a balance and not let moderation become an obsession or source of anxiety.