Some much appreciated advice needed

• Thread starter Crichton
  • Start date
In summary, relativity books are math-heavy and focus on explaining concepts through math and diagrams.
Crichton
Hello everyone, hope all is well.

I have a couple of questions that I hope someone could give me some advice or insight on.

1) Which field of physics is most closely related to the study of black holes, white holes, and other theoretical phenomena (Obviously black holes are excluded from the "theoretical" portion of my statement) of the cosmos? I'm thinking it would be astrophysics, but I just want to be certain.

2) In relation to question number 1, if the field is indeed astrophysics, what would the best career path be? Should I major in just plain physics for undergraduate, and then delve into astrophysics during graduate school, or is it better to major in astrophysics in undergraduate and graduate school? Or what other concentration of undergraduate physics might help me (or I probably need)?

3) Can anyone suggest some books on Relativity. I would like a book that not only explains the concepts through words, but also through mathematical procedure. I have two years of Calculus under belt in case you need to know. I really enjoy mathematics, which is one of the reasons theoretical physics interests me.

4) One last question. I am looking into transferring to Stony Brook University in New York. If possible, could someone shed some light on what they think about the physics program and how it might rate among some other colleges. I know that the college has some great research opportunities, especially with Brookhaven Lab (which houses RHIC) nearby.

I thank anyone who is willing to share their knowledge or experiences

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Yes, the field is astrophysics.

2. It doesn't matter much what the degree it called, whether physics, astrophysics, astronomy, space science, or space physics, it's just a name with slightly different degree requirements ranging from program to program. What matters more are the skills you've learned and experiences you've had as an undergraduate. It would be helpful to take a couple classes in astrophysics as an undergraduate and possibly get involved in research, if possible.

3. A classic book that I'm currently learning a lot from is Special Relativity by A. P. French.

Best of luck!

For the relativity book, once you've finished AP French's special relativity book, I suggest you read Bernard Schutz's "A First Course in General Relativity" or James Hartle "Gravity: An Introduction to Einstein's General Relativity."

I thank both of you for your responses.

I shouldn't have any problems with the book by A.P. French with two years of Calculus (Calculus I and Calculus 2), right?

Last edited:

1. What does "some much appreciated advice needed" mean?

"Some much appreciated advice needed" is a phrase used to express a request for helpful guidance or suggestions in a particular situation. It implies that the person asking is seeking valuable insight or recommendations.

2. How can I give helpful advice to someone who asks for it?

When giving advice, it is important to listen actively and understand the person's situation before offering any suggestions. Be empathetic and respectful, and try to provide practical and actionable advice that can help the person in their specific situation.

3. What are the benefits of seeking advice from others?

Seeking advice from others can bring new perspectives and ideas to a situation. It can also help to validate one's own thoughts and decisions, or provide alternative solutions that one may not have considered. Additionally, seeking advice can help to build relationships and foster a sense of community.

4. How can I determine if the advice I receive is reliable?

It is important to consider the source of the advice and their qualifications or expertise in the topic. You can also do your own research and fact-check the advice given. Ultimately, trust your own judgment and decide which advice resonates best with you and your situation.

5. Is it necessary to always follow the advice that is given?

No, it is not always necessary to follow the advice given. It is important to carefully consider the advice and make your own decision based on what you believe is best for your situation. You are ultimately responsible for your own choices and actions.