Some music pieces same/similar from the same artist

  • Thread starter Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Music
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
7 replies · 3K views
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
7,799
Reaction score
2,202
A better forum for this should be in an entirely different one, not PF, but dedicated to music.

Some pieces of music with different titles but from the same artist seem essentially the same music/or song but just different names. I believe I found two examples:

Spudnik, and Surf Rider (Nokie Edwards, and the Ventures?). The original was Spudnik, and later when a saxophone was included, it seemed to be named Surf Rider.

Fatback, and Ace of Spades, and Vernon's Diamond. and-forgot-the-other-name. Link Wray. NOT the one (Ace of Spades) by Motorhead, which is way completely different.

I'll come back to edit this when I find that other name.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PG Wodehouse once wrote a short story about a golf game twice. Same plot, same characters, just superficial change.

An ice hockey goalie who had a tumor that caused him to produce female hormones wrote the same book twice.

I have been told that Jack Chalker wrote the same book many times.

Whenever I see any author with sixty books lined up I figure that they are all the same. That's the only way you can write that fast.
 
symbolipoint said:
A better forum for this should be in an entirely different once, not PF, but dedicated to music.

Some pieces of music with different titles but from the same artist seem essentially the same music/or song but just different names. I believe I found two examples:

Spudnik, and Surf Rider (Nokie Edwards, and the Ventures?). The original was Spudnik, and later when a saxophone was included, it seemed to be named Surf Rider.

Fatback, and Ace of Spades, and Vernon's Diamond. and-forgot-the-other-name. Link Wray. NOT the one (Ace of Spades) by Motorhead, which is way completely different.

I'll come back to edit this when I find that other name.
Lady Ga Ga. Had a big hit with "Poker face." Subsequent hit sounded very similar.
 
It could be argued that Kurt Vonnegut (fellow midwesterner and Cornellian and a personal hero) wrote the same book again and again. While certainly not literally true, I think it may be the norm for many great artists.
 
hutchphd said:
It could be argued that Kurt Vonnegut (fellow midwesterner and Cornellian and a personal hero) wrote the same book again and again. While certainly not literally true, I think it may be the norm for many great artists.
He certainly used the same phrase over and over.
"So it goes" 106 times in Slaughter house 5.
 
Hornbein said:
I have been told that Jack Chalker wrote the same book many times.
I don't recall that (read much Chalker many moons ago), but I'd nominate John Grisham.

Or, Spider Robinson : I swear the last 20 pages of almost every book, I'm thinking "Is this a two-parter?", then he segues into "and then they all got stoned, mind melded and saved the world". Sortof annoying since they're otherwise quite edible with a decent tempo.
 
symbolipoint said:
Fatback, and Ace of Spades, and Vernon's Diamond. and-forgot-the-other-name. Link Wray. NOT the one (Ace of Spades) by Motorhead, which is way completely different.
Add to that "popin' popeye", also seems to be the same as those other three.