1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Someone explain what this is actually saying?

1. Sep 14, 2012 #1
    Hey guys, I was just reading an article on a patent Michael Jackson had under his name for one of his "anti-gravity" moves on stage, one which allowed him to lean out over his center of mass without falling over. However in the article I'm a bit confused exactly what is going on with the design....anyone care to take a look?

http://blogs.archives.gov/aotus/?p=2574 [Broken]

It seems to me that it some how allows the wearer to slide a pre-placed stage attachment into the heel of the shoe allowing him to have something to balance him out?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

his shoes hook into a peg embedded in the stage allowing him to lean over further than is normal.

imagine your feet are superglued to the floor then you'd be able to lean forward quite a bit thats basically what Michael Jackson's invention allows with the further feature that you can dance around and then slide your heel into it to make it look more magical.

4. Sep 14, 2012 #3
    Yea that's exactly what I was thinking it was saying but the wording was confusing me a bit

5. Sep 14, 2012 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

when lawyers write patent applications they must ensure that there are no loose ends in the description and that the patent covers as much area as possible. This prevents others from boxing the patent in or writing a new patent that supercedes the original.

But when a patent is litigated in court, the claims section is what is really used. Each claim identifies an important component of the patent.

Basically a patent teaches you something new and unique. If its new and unique enough then the Patent Office will award you a patent with a 20 year or so exclusive right to your invention.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook